♛ Chapter 17

♛ I was creating my new life. After a week back at the Palace I met with my new secretary, Mrs. Lyda Perreault. According to here dossier Kendrew provided, she was forty-seven and mated, with one grown son who was a teacher at a local school. She apparently had been a secretary to one of Kendrew's cousins before she retired and came highly recommended.

Our interview was pretty short, I'm sure she was qualified and I'd never had a secretary before. My prior appointments had mainly consisted of carefully timed 'missions' as I thought of them, Kendrew seemed to think my past activities were more like 'shakedowns' or 'heists'. I had no idea how to create schedules and things, in fact I didn't really want to do more than one thing per day.

During our interview Mrs. Perreault sat politely and listened to what the King told her. How I needed to get on schedule, see important people, arrange interviews, cater official events, and on and on. I stopped listening to him and was looking out the window at the now intermittently timed guard rotation. I see Shiner had been busy working with Alec on security measures. It would be harder to break out again if I ever wanted to.

I heard Kendrew clear his throat and they were both looking at me. "Sorry?" I asked them, completely busted for not paying attention.

Sighing, Kendrew sat back in his chair and looked at me steadily. I wasn't in the mood to be scolded like a schoolgirl and just looked back at him. I spent the last month practicing knife throwing and hand-to-hand lethal combat, what the hell did I need to cater events for? He had people to do that.

Ms. Perreault broke the silence when she leaned toward me and asked, "Your Highness, what do you want to do?" I think I fell in love with her at that moment. No one had asked me that before.

Smiling I leaned forward and told her, "I want to pick up a knife, balance it in my hands to get a feel for how it fits and judge it's center point, then I want to jump up and twist around while throwing it at a target."

Mrs. Perreault looked at me starting to smile and immediately replied, "I see. Do you have a target range in the palace?" I simply looked at Kendrew and shrugged.

Frowning, Kendrew glared at my Mrs. Perreault and grumbled, "Yes we have target ranges in the west fields and Armory, but I think we are straying off the point here."

Mrs. Perreault chimed in as my smile grew, "Sir, I believe her Highness needs to let off some steam before we begin. With all due respect, perhaps it would be best to ease her into her new duties. Perhaps starting with some fun activities to be balanced with more serious matters?" I sensed a partner in crime, in fact I believed I was in the presence of greatness.

Kendrew looked at her intensely, trying to see what game she was playing at. Perking up I stood up and interrupted, "I think that's a marvelous idea and I think we should begin right now!" Walking closer to Mrs. Perreault, I grabbed her arm and started to drag her from the room.

"Let me show you where our office is, we can get started right away." Kendrew sat there frowning and watching the situation slip away from him, as I quickly opened the door and dragged my Mrs. Perreault behind me. Shutting the door I brought her next door so she could set down her things.

"Just put your things in a drawer and let's go for a walk." Smiling I watched Mrs. Perreault take off her jacket and put it down next to her purse.

Looking at me with a small smile she asked, "Where do we start?" I nodded for her to follow me and I walked down the hall to what I thought was the back of the building. Opening the doors I saw a guard nearby. "Hey, can you show us to the weapons room?"