♛ Chapter 13

♛ Reveille was in fact at oh-six-hundred, and breakfast was at oh-six-thirty. When the alarm clock buzzed I hit it hoping to break it, but it was a tough clock. Kendrew murmured something and turned over, so I was on my own.

Fine.

I washed my face, brushed my teeth and hair, wore my cammo clothes and meandered downstairs. Breakfast was pretty good and the 'mess hall' was crowded with male and female warriors. The room was briefly quiet as they looked at me, but I held my head up and walked to where the plates and foot was laid out. It looked good but I only took a little bit to get me through the morning, I didn't know what the hell I'd be doing and I didn't want to get sick. The conversations quickly picked back up again and I went and sat at a small table by myself to eat.

Surprisingly, a young man and woman came and stood next to my table with plates in their hands.

"Your Highness, may we sit with you?" they asked looking right at me.

I blinked since I didn't think anyone would want to talk to me, and I nodded and said "Yea, feel free. And call me Aislin, I'm not 'Your Highness', I'm just a consort."

They looked at me surprised and took a seat. It turned out these two were twins, and joined the 'Guard' as they called it as soon as they graduated high school. They were honored to be accepted and were working hard to get their desired posts.

The one named Carter told me between bites that he wanted to be a chopper pilot and was finishing up his studies here, along with 'Guard' training. The one named Jenny was filling me in on some of the gossip, about who was paired up, who were some of the slackers, and on and on about things I had no interest in. They were both arguing about some movie coming out with 'Thor' in it, when they all of the sudden sat up straight with their arms at their sides, looking behind me.

"Princess, I see you've made some new friends." I just murmured not to call me Princess. "And at least you made it down here on time. Clean up your plate, we pull our own weight around here- and meet me on the training grounds in five minutes. Carter here will show you," he barked while looking directly at Carter.

"Yes sir!" Carter replied still sitting there like a statue.

Harding Spense glared at me for a moment, then turned around and left.

"Asshat," I grumbled softly and Carter and Jenny just stared at me. "Sorry," I said and stood up to take my plate to the kitchen and put it in the dishwasher. I was used to taking care of myself, this was no big deal to me and I would have done it anyway.

Carter appeared at my side and he showed me where the training grounds were. There were several teams of fighters already sparring, being coached by a trainer. They all had these weird stripes on their sleeves and I didn't understand any of it.

Asshat appeared from nowhere and yelled directly behind me, making me yelp in surprise. Jesus! "Princess, you'll be sparing with Sutton. I asked her to take it easy on you and not leave too many bruises on your delicate skin."

I saw Sutton saunter up to me, easily towering over my 5' 6" self. She was a bruiser and I seriously doubted she'd go easy on me. I briefly glared at Asshat, then stood in the 'ring' and prepared to be beaten to a pulp. My forte was speed, running away quickly, and planning- not hand to hand sparring. But I'd done my share of sparring in my old pack, and not just with women. My bastard of a father was an Alpha of a small pack and made sure I could take care of myself- at least long enough to get away.