04 | potential love interest

0 4

potential love interest

     For each day, I find something to be grateful for.

     Yesterday, I was grateful that my grandmother stopped by to give me cookies. The day before, I was grateful to see the C on my biology paper even though I wanted to scream myself for not getting a C+.

     Today, I'm grateful for Facebook.

    "There are like, thirty-five Justine Reynolds here," I mumble. "How am I suppose to go through every one of them?"

     Liv and I are spending our plan-free weekends at my house, since we're both couch potatoes who enjoy binging on Netflix rather than going outside in the sun. We thought might as well put ourselves into good use.

    "Lemme check," Liv says.

     I scoot my chair away to give her some space, rolling it with me.

     She glares at me. "You're going to make me stand? I'm a guest."

    "You are a female guest," I quip. "You will stand with dignity and honour. You will show society that women are stronger and give a taste of female empowerment! Go feminism!"

     Liv rolls my eyes at my dramatics. It's a recurring trend right now, especially with our generation. I don't know how it started getting popular, but hey, I'm not complaining.

    "University of Penn... married with three kids..." Liv squints on the computer screen. "Aha! Dalton High School." She clicks one of the profiles, skims the bio, and confirms it's our Justine. "You know what, this is actually really fun. Feels like Kim Possible and I'm your sidekick."

    "I always thought you resembled a mole rat."

     She smacks my shoulder hard.

     I laugh as I skitter back to the desk and regard the screen, taking the mouse from her. Justine's profile picture looks like a modelling shoot, which probably is. I skim her likes — The Vampire Diaries, Ariana Grande, Nicholas Sparks, Urban Outfitters.

     I can't say I'm surprised.

     Liv clicks her tongue. "She screams white girl."

    "We're all white girls here, Olivia," I reason.

    "Don't you have a bit of Spanish blood?"

    "Don't tell Gonzalez that." I groan. "Another thing to associate me with."

    "Noted." Liv squints. "Oh, look. Is that her brother?"

     I hover the mouse over to where she's pointing. Under the Family section are three profiles: Iris Goodwin and Yolanda Ramone as her sisters, and Jude Reynolds as her brother.