15 | bobby the cat

1 5

bobby the cat

    "So that's what I happened," I finish.

     Trey and I are sitting under the bleachers, having our respective lunches of sandwiches and sushi. We decided this was a safe spot that won't raise a few eyebrows.

    "I find the whole thing weirdly convenient." Trey comments as he takes a big bite of his sushi. "And inherently interesting. She basically left her best friends for you. In public. Why?"

    "Aren't you suppose to be the genius?"

     It's weird now. She's not exactly smiling me in hallways... but she acknowledges me, like a nod, but more than a nod. It's so much better than when I started, but I can't describe it.

     I don't even know what it is.

     "Is that why she invited me to her house the other day?"

     I spit out my water, the remains hitting Trey's sweater. "She did what?"

    "Jesus, Addie!" He wipes his sleeve like it's on fire, and gives me a sharp look. "Yes, we were playing badminton until late evening and she didn't have a ride — "

    "You were with her the entire evening  "

    " — so I offered to drive her home, and she allowed me."

     I stare at him with my mouth agape. "So you're telling me the first time you're alone with her, you didn't even tell me?!"

     A crease appears on his forehead as he thinks about it. Then he nods.

    "Trey!" I hit him on the shoulder.

    "Harassment against males is actually a thing that exists — "

    "What did you guys do in her house?"

     He stares daggers at me while rubbing his shoulder. "We talked."

     I scoff. "Sure. No, seriously."

     Trey raises an eyebrow. "You don't believe me?"

     I let out a single laugh, but fall short when he looks serious. "You want me to believe that you, Trey Gonzalez, the notorious womanizer — "

    "Socialite," he corrects.

     I bristle. "You want me to believe that you and Justine just talked, while you two were alone in her house?"

    "Yes."

     My hands shoot up. "Unbelievable."

    "Actually," he quips. "very much believable. You see, I already did your number four."