33 | gnome garden

3 3

gnome garden

     I keep checking my phone.

     Where is he? I told him to arrive at six, but it's already three minutes after six. What if he's lost? Did he take another intersection? What if he's kidnapped?

     I let out a frustrating sigh. It was his idea to meet my parents, after all, since he made a good point that I've met his. Even though I've warned him thousands of times that my father is a bit odd. I cringe.

     The gnome garden is proof.

     I'm about to call him when his familiar BMW rolls in.

    "Jude!" I let out as he exits the car, walking up to me like my very own modern James Dean. "Where were you?!"

     He's not even listening to me. His eyes widen as he takes a long look at my front porch. Particularly at the amount of gnomes. "Trey wasn't fucking joking," he says, whistling.

     I hit him. "Hello?!"

    "Relax, sweetheart." Jude chuckles, taking that hand and bringing me to him. He kisses my forehead, and I instantly melt. "I was buying a gift for your parents. You look gorgeous, by the way."

     I blink. "T-thank you. Wait — a gift? I didn't tell you to do that."

    "It was my idea."

    "Well, what'd you get them?"

     He grins and walks past me to the front door.

    "Jude!" Mom greets, opening the door and closing it behind us. "So nice to finally meet you!" She pulls him into a tight hug. He lets out an oof! as he crouches down to meet her height.

     Don't forget to smile, I mouth behind her shoulder.

     Jude imitates a very over-exaggerated one to my mom that makes me want to slap my forehead.

    "The pleasure's mine, ma'am."

    "Hi Addie's boyfriend!" Penny squeals, waving at him.

     Jude chuckles. "You must be the legendary Penelope," he squats down, so my little sister is taller than him.

     Penny gasps. "You told him about me?" she whispers to me in awe, tugging my dress.

    "Yeap," I grin, popping the p.

     Jude returns her enthusiastic high-five and Penny giggles out of giddiness. Damn. He's good with kids. I want to see him with more kids. Preferably mine.