20 | boyfriend material

2 0

boyfriend material

     Ever since I spent my free time with Justine, everything's sugar and spice and everything nice.

     She surprised the whole school when she started playing badminton regularly. They were even more surprised when she actually played with people "below her status," also known as, well, underclassmen.

     Of course, this infuriated the girls in her clique, especially Iris. She tried talking her out of it, saying it was "disgusting to sweat so much," but Justine waved them off. She even gaped at her when Justine sat with kids we like to know as full-on geeks. Luckily Yolanda was there to catch her faint. And that was before Justine pulled her hamburger out.

     I'm so proud of her. Like a mother who's cheering for her baby. Trey's been so supportive of her, and he's never pressured her into anything she doesn't like. Boyfriend material right there.

     Almost-there boyfriend material.

     It's 5:30 pm on a Friday night when Justine calls me. I give Penelope the TV remote and prop my legs on the table, watching as the screen flashes from Criminal Minds to Girl Meets World.

    "Wassup?"

    "Hey." Her voice is light. "There's a party I'm suppose to go tonight, but I'm feeling really lazy. Wanna come over and watch Netflix instead?"

     Despite knowing the real Justine, I still have to get the whole popular-party-girl image out of my head. Justine and I are more alike than I thought, actually. Not conforming to categories that society gives us.

     I grin. "Sounds rad. Popcorn?"

    "Plus soda," she chirps. "And maybe energy drinks for Jude."

     Jude. Her twin brother. Who lives with her. "Right."

     It's not like I've been actively avoiding him. I'm just keeping it low. A safe distance. I'm still polite to him and he's still rudely polite to me. He doesn't grill me about the weird behaviour, maybe because he doesn't pay attention as much. Thankfully.

     I'm about to turn off my phone when she adds, "Bring Trey, too."

     I laugh. "Did you even have to ask?"

***

     "Dad!" I call. "I'm going!"

     I grab my bag and cross the living room, ruffling Penny's hair. She squirms away from me but gives me a half-hearted hug around my legs. Dad comes down from the stairs, eyes with dark circles and his hair untidy. Mom usually arrives home late so I texted her earlier.