22 | the virgin question

2 2

the virgin question

     Trey Gonzalez and Justine Reynolds have kissed.

     On Monday, the whole school just found out — including me.

     I'm getting some books from my locker, staying for the hushed voices and furtive glances. All around me, groups of teenagers are no doubt talking about the Golden Couple's kiss. I hear the words "make out," "he's so hot," "God damn it, Trey," and sometimes "I need Trey Gonzalez to fuck me."

     Oookay. I turn around on that one.

     First period gives me chance to talk to the guy. The school bell rings and everyone clampers about like ants on a farm. I rush to History and there's already Sean seated next to Trey — I didn't even realise he was in this class.

     I poke Sean. He snaps his head to me.

    "I need that seat."

     He scoffs. "Sorry, milady, first come first — "

     I grab his books and drop them to the table behind him, keeping a stubborn stance with my arms crossed and glaring eyes.

     He just frowns. "Do you need to go to the bathroom or something?"

     I push Sean. "Just go! Please!"

     Sean sighs and gets up. As I plump down on the seat, I immediately turn to the guy everyone's been talking about.

     And I've never seen Trey smile so bright in my entire life.

     He's lying back on the chair, crossing his arms, either suavely ignoring the onlookers or just preoccupied with his schoolboy emotions.

     I nudge him hard. He barely sways.

    "Yo, lover boy," I bait. "Careful, you're showing feelings."

     Trey turns to me and grins wider. The force of his cheeriness leaves me a little appalled. "What can I say, Addie? I'm most certainly human."

     I roll my eyes and lean closer. "Why didn't you tell me? I'm your wing-woman, remember! We talked about this!"

     He laughs. "I took your advice whole-heartedly. You should gratify my dedication."

     Between us, he discreetly passes me the folded, wrinkled paper. This has always been how it goes: I give the paper, and he keeps it until he's done the deed. I open the List, scanning the mixture of my handwriting and Trey's. On the very bottom, it says: