40 | bronze babe

4 0

bronze babe

    "I repeat, the eagle has descended, I repeat!"

    "Why are you screaming? I'm literally in front of you."

     I've decided that the library would be our headquarters for the oncoming news I'm about to spill for them. "Right. Sorry."

     Behind her, Trey saunters over to us. "Why did you send me a cryptic text?" he starts, pulling back the chair next to Liv. "The words library after lunch didn't really sooth me."

    "And I don't understand why I'm here," Vic raises his hand on my side, a confused expression on his face. I slowly put his hand down.

    "Because." I pause for dramatic effect. "Justine's seen my article."

     So the grand plan I was scheming? Remember when I wanted to get close to Justine but couldn't do so without a proper excuse? Well, the excuse was that I was writing an article about her to post for Student Council. I guess everyone forgot about that — including Justine — because none of us followed through with it. Now that we're nearing the end of the school year, though, it's the perfect timing.

     It's also the perfect last straw to break Justine.

     Vic whistles. "That's actually not bad, Addie. Congrats."

     I look at him with heart eyes. "Thank you, Victor."

    "Wait, wait." Liv holds up her hands. "How do we know if she read it yet?"

    "Logically, she already has," Trey answers, like he's talking about an analytical essay about macroeconomics and not about a teenage girl. "We're nearing the end of the day, which means at least seven hours has passed for her to read it."

     Just at that moment, the library door opens and murmurs are heard through the room. And lo and behold, in comes the Golden Girl.

     My article has been the biggest talk of the school this time yet. Maybe because it's starring Justine Reynolds herself, but also because no one's done a profile interview of her before. I didn't even give A Midsummer Night's Dream a breather, which I guess is why Mr. Allen has been throwing me death stares all through the day.

     We try to act normal as she passes our view through bookshelves, her figure disappearing every few seconds. I have a strange case of déjà vu — of that time Trey and I were here, planning our first move and him approaching her with the little (and failed) plan I concocted. 

     She catches my eye.

     I almost faint right there. But something about her face calms me... like a childhood friend I've been estranged with. So I offer her a smile.