16 | pretty china doll

1 6 

pretty china doll

     The lunch bell rings. I catch up to Vic, who just got out of the same English class.

    "Hey!" I come in step beside him. "Where's Trey?"

    "Hello to you, too." Vic turns to me, and his smile is almost blinding. Blindingly beautiful. Trey and Jude may have built bodies (Jude a lot more), but Vic could model in a runway. His cheekbones, the ocean-blue eyes, and that lean body — I actually halt in my steps.

     He stops with me. "Addie?"

    "You're beautiful," I blurt out truthfully, and he looks so taken aback that I have to steady him. "Just a fact. I'm not hitting on you. You should really try modelling or something."

    "Sure," Vic says uncertainly, more of a question.

     I continue walking. "Again, Trey?"

     His eyes lit up. Damn. Do all of Trey's friends have bright eyes? Is that part of Trey Gonzalez's friendship requirement? Then again, I don't have bright eyes. And I haven't been personally introduced to all his friends because, well, there's so many of them.

     Vic clicks his fingers. "Dude, are you even listening?"

     I blink. "Sorry. Got distracted. What did you say?"

     He sighs. "He skipped Econ to grab early lunch with Justine. He's probably still there." He frowns. "Didn't he tell you?"

     No, he didn't. "Maybe he forgot," I smile, but a light sting hits up my chest. "Thanks."

     I follow Vic to the cafeteria and I see them instantly. This is the first time they've eaten lunch together — in the same lunch table. Lunch tables, as small as it is, changes things. This is a statement, like they're telling everyone that they're on the verge of something more.

     But they're not together. Not yet.

     And they're not alone. There's the usual Iris and Yolanda, but other guys sitting there. Trey's friends?

     Vic's wide grin is a confirmation. "Hey!" he calls, striding to them and doing the whole clap-on-the-back kind of thing. Three so far. Jude is nowhere in sight. 

     Suddenly I am nervous.

     Justine turns around and sees me lingering. "What are you standing there for?" She gestures to the seat next to her.

     My shoulders sag in relief. I don't know why I hesitated. Seeing Trey and Justine with their own friends... I shake my head, knowing the thought in my head is ridiculous. They would never do that.