19 | international women's day

1 9

international women's day

     Eighth of March.

     You all know what that means.

    "So," the substitute teacher begins. "Today is — "

    "International Women's Day!" I scream, putting my hands up. Most of the girls cheer with me, but I spot some of them give me scowling looks, like we don't want your bullcrap. Like I should be punished for declaring our special day.

    "N-no." The substitute pales. "It's the test — "

     A guy in plaids speaks up. "That's just sexist," he mutters, loud enough for us to hear. "Why isn't there an International Men's Day? I'm offended." He shares a high-five with a guy sitting next to him.

     I turn slowly from my chair, rotating to him. "You know what I'm offended of?" I snap. "When girls are assaulted, we get the blame and shame. When girls want to be a CEO or an engineer or a scientist, they're told to stay home. When they get the job, some of them don't even have equal pay. And when they want to strive for more, society tells them that they're less. So don't bother asking why there isn't an 'International Men's Day' because that's basically every day."

     A few whistles emit around the room. I fight back a smile.

    "No, it isn't," the guy banters. "You girls are the ones who get the special treatment. 'Oh, you don't have to do this, you're a girl, let the guys handle it.'" He scoffs. "You want equality? You have to endure like us. But trust me — you wouldn't last a day being a man."

    "And you wouldn't last a day being a woman," I spat.

    "Enough," the substitute interrupts. "Miss, uh — "

    "Hale."

    "Miss Hale. I think you should just join debate class."

     I beam. "That's a great idea." And I mean it.

     Someone in the back groans. Paul, who's from the debate class, brings his hands over his head, looking frustrated. "Not her," he whines.

     He's probably thinking what everyone's thinking: oh god, Addie's never going to stop. She can't take a freakin' break. Always putting herself at every situation. She's going to wreck everything.

     I smile at him. "Hi, Paul."

***

     After the bell rings, I immediately seek for Liv. I find her chilling in the student's lounge.