TWELVE| november 27, 2067

-

My eyes fluttered open, but the darkness hurt them, making me whimper. An oxygen mask covered my face to help me breathe, I took it off and winced. I felt the pain all over again. I tried turning my head around, but the brace on my neck restricted me from doing so. I blinked my eyes over to my left and noticed a plate with nothing on it. And to my right, I saw the outline of Dad and Lucas asleep on the chairs. I heard the quiet sounds of footsteps walking outside my door. The knob turned and my door was opened.

"Hello Louis, my name is Bradley Stevens," the man introduced himself. "Please don't talk, blink once for no, blink twice for yes. Blink twice if you understand."

I blinked twice. What is this? Why can't I talk? Why am I in a hospital? Why am I hurt?

"I have to give you a few of shots. You may still be groggy, but that is common. Do you understand?" He asked.

I blinked twice and the man stuck a needle into my arm after cleaning it. I couldn't say anything, but a tear rolled down my cheek. He did it a few more times in different areas of my body, and I whimpered at all of them. The nurse wiped it off and he took my blood pressure. I felt sick but not sick enough to vomit. The nurse put his things away and looked at me.

"Do you remember what happened before you came here?" Bradley asked.

I blinked once.

"Can you see? Can you hear me well?"

Two blinks.

"Does anything hurt?"

Two blinks.

"Arm?"

Two blinks.

"Neck?"

Two blinks.

"Leg?"

Two blinks.

"Everything?"

Two blinks.

Bradley spoke. "Louis, I'm sorry, but you were in a plane crash almost a week ago. You were in a coma, which is a miracle you came out of. Your injuries were very severe. We had to amputate three of your toes, two on your left and one on your right, to save your feet. Your neck was surgically repaired by a team of highly trained surgeons. Your spinal cord nearly broken in half resulting in your neck surgery. We will run tests to ensure you're not paralyzed. Your wrist was sprained, which resulted in casting it. Both of your legs are in cast to keep them safe and secure to heal correctly. Your jawbone was severely damaged but it was sutured and repaired during surgery too. Blink twice if you understand."

The tears rolled down my eyes. I couldn't blink, I stared right into Bradley's eyes not able to do anything but let the tears roll down my cheeks slowly.

"Blink twice, Louis, if you understand," Bradley ordered. "We have to do immediate tests to see if follow up surgeries are necessary."

I blinked twice and stayed quiet.

"You've had enough rest, but get a bit more. The tests aren't going to be a walk through the park. I'll be back along with my team at seven in the morning. Goodnight, Louis," Bradley spoke and left the room.