decisions

"Rukia, " Erwin said walking up on Levi and I in the Mess hall. "You are to come with the other higher ups to tonight's graduation ceremony for the 104th cadet class. As you are aware, they will be choosing which regiment they wish to join."

"Hai!" I said.

"As for you, Levi, you are going on a reconnaissance mission."

"Hai," He said.

"Rukia, take Riv with you to the graduation ceremony," Levi added.

" I will. Be careful out there. I love you," I said.

"Love you, daddy," Riv echoed.

"I love you too," He said, hugging Riv. He kissed me quickly, then dashed off.

Levi's point of view

I had ridden up to hear some scouts who were sitting on the stairwell in the courtyard talking about how nothing suspicious had turned up into our investigation concerning the test subjects. Eren was feeding the horses.

I pulled the reins back on my horse.

"Assemble!" I called out.

The cadets scrambled in front of me and saluted.

I explained their orders and they saluted, then made a beeline for the stables.

"Yeagar, do not fall more than two horse lengths behind. You can hang out, only because I will be watching over you," I told Eren.

We rode out, the sun glare harsh in my tired eyes. Gunther had teased me about the bags under my eyes.

"Late night, huh?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

" Nah, my insomnia has been acting up again."

Time skip brought to you by bonfires

Riv  held my hand as we all stood on the platform in front of the crowd of graduates. Keith had gotten a kick out of meeting Rivielle. He was rather disappointed that Levi didn't show up.

"I am commander Smith, representing the Scout regiment. Tonight you must choose which regiment you wish to join. I am here tonight to invite you to join the Scout Regiment. During the last attack, you have discovered the true terror that comes from the titans. You have also discovered the extent of your abilities. However, in this latest battle, we have made progress towards victory thanks to the existence of Eren Yeagar. His efforts give no doubt that he is on Humanity's side. With his help, not only have we stopped the titan invasion, we also gained a means to understand the true nature of titans!"

Cadets within the crowd gasped in shock and awe.

"Located in his family home's basement within the Shiganshina district is a secret to the titans that we believe that even Yeagar himself is unaware of. When we locate it, we may gain information necessary to break free from a century of a world dominated by titans."

People started murmuring within the crowd.

Erwin talked about survival rates, death rates, an other very discouraging things.

"Oh, great, now no one is gonna join," I heard someone say.

"You are free to stay, or go if you choose to do so. Dismissed."

Most of the crowd took off. Only a handful of Cadets remained. They had genuine fear written across their faces.

"I respect you all for battling your fears," Erwin said. "You will all make great soldiers. Now I ask you to give your hearts for humanity!"

The cadets saluted, and Erwin said, " You all have my heartfelt respect. Welcome to the Survey corps."

I looked at the trainees, who had seen as much as we have. They would make fine soldiers indeed.

Before we left, Keith knelt down in front of Riv and said, "I might train you when you get older. I will be looking forward to that."

Again. Everyone assuming that I actually wanted my daughter to become a soldier. I was beginning to think that others saw her only as an asset. But in the end the choice was hers to make. Levi was already training her in hand to hand combat and letting her mess around with the 3DMG. She seemed to enjoy herself. Either way, I would support her when that day came.

Rivielle yawned, and I picked her up. She wrapped her arms around my neck, and closed her eyes.

We escorted the new recruits back to HQ. Some of our soldiers had to ride double.

We led the new recruits to the barracks. A girl with reddish brownish hair followed closely at my heels, and was extremely interested in Rivielle.

"Are you her sister?" She asked me.

"Oh, no. This is my daughter," I replied. "But thanks for the compliment."

"Scout members can have kids!?"

"Ummm... yes. Anyone can."

"Really? I thought you had to fill out all this paperwork and then have the stork deliver the kid to you."

I blinked, shocked at what she had said. I shook my head.

"What is your name, cadet?"

"Sasha. Sasha Blouse, ma'am."

Sasha, you poor, poor sheltered child.