CHAPTER 3

POV MEERA:

As I stepped back into the house, I was once again left with nothing to do. I thought of having lunch since it was already noon but it wasn't exactly a 'fun' plan. I couldn't spend everyday living like sixty-five years old. Having no other option for the day, I succumbed to the idea.

I found my way back to the room after my lonely lunch and pulled out my laptop from the bag-pack. Checking out the time on my wristwatch and after some intense counting with the help of my fingers, I figured it was around two in the morning in New York. Considering my masi’s late night movie-watching hobby, I shamelessly Skyped her.

Trrrring... Trrrring... Trrring... Trring...

"Meer!!!! I knew you would call!" masi shrieked on the other end.

"Seems like I did not disturb you." I smiled.

"Of course not. Vikrant and I were just watching a movie."

"Don't be naughty behind my back masi!" I teased referring to her boyfriend of five years.

"Sooo....?" she lingered in a serious tone.

"So.. what?" I murmured.

I knew what she wanted to know, but I just didn't want to be the one initiating the topic. The hope in her voice made me stick to my decision on keeping it shut all the more.

"How did it go Meer...?" She whispered.

"Well, India is an interesting country and Mumbai seems cool in it's own unique way. And the beach is also----"

"Meer! you know what I'm asking you."

"Masi... he has dumped me in some corner of his bungalow and locked me into the room. There is this little space below the door from where a plate of food is sent twice a day.."

"Meera, I know you are lying through your teeth dear." she snorted." Why don't you understand? It is for you to know your father. You cannot run away from him all your life." she sighed.

"Relax masi. I get it. You don't have to lecture me at 2 in the morning. Why don't you and Vikrant get back to your movie!" I said deliberately emphasizing the last word.

"Meera!" she warned in her 'I-am-your-masi-you-better-watch-your-tongue' tone.

"Love you masi."

"Love you too Meer."

Click.

I could hear some voices in the drawing room. My jobless and curious self made her way to the drawing room to check out the happenings in this otherwise dead house.

"Meera, how are you doing?" Mehta, the manager smiled.

"Fine, I guess." I smiled back.

"You should check out the beach in the evening, you might make some friends there." he suggested probably reading my bored look.

"I already made a trip there in the morning." I was obviously not narrating the whole incident.

That bored maid came running from the kitchen. She handed a bag to Mehta uncle. 

"Umm.. Mehta Uncle, do you have any idea about 'City Rhythms'?" I asked hoping that the question was making sense. Because I was clueless about what exactly did I mean.

"That magazine is seriously viral! It has just been a few hours to your arrival and you are already into this 'Mumbai's Magazine Of Youth'." He said air-quoting the last words, "that's the punch line they use, right?" he confirmed smiling.