CHAPTER 14

POV ADITYA:

 After pacing for the billionth time in the drawing room, I walked to the huge glass window again and strained my eyes in the dark to look if someone was arriving at the main gate. There was still no sign of her. I glanced at the huge wall clock- it was half past two in the morning and this crazy daughter of mine was roaming around somewhere on the streets of Mumbai. There was some movement at the main gate. The figure was not clear in the darkness of night but her curls gave up the identity- it was Meera. 

Practically dashing my way, I sat on the couch and switched on the television. I took the most possible relaxed pose there and pretended to watch television as I heared the door clicking. 

"Where were you Meera?" I tried to sound as casual as possible.

"Why do you care?" she gave me her trademark look.

Walking towards the kitchen, her tiny figure disappeared. I took a deep breath,

 and rubbed my temples. She came out with a bowl in her hands and settled on the couch next to me. I was surprised and nervous as hell.

"Ahhmmm...." I cleared my throat," I'm not sleepy."

She nibbled from her bowl not responding.

"So, I thought of watching some T.V." I tried again.

"Do I look like I care?" she shot back irritated.

"You can use some milk with these Chocos." I suggested peeking into her bowl.

She took a glance at her filled bowl and then bent forward to peek in to my half-filled bowl of Chocos on the teapoy in front.

"Did I ask you to use some milk with your bowl of Chocos?" she made her dislike to my stupid conversations topic very clear.

"I like to have them without milk, just like your mum did..." I said,  my eyes glued on the television.

But, my mind was wandering into those bitter-sweet memories of past.

****************************************

*********************************************

TWENTY-FOUR YEARS BACK:

It had been a year since I had proposed to Manyata.

"Milk?" I shook the container in my hand.

"Of course not!" Manyata spoke while her mouth is full of Chocos. 

We were at my apartment in New York. It was some Sunday morning and we were to receive my parents. They were coming over dinner. They flew all over from India just to meet Manyata. Manyata was draped in a beautiful plain yellow sari with a thick colorful border while her curls falling over her tapering back were simply magnificent.

"Are you all right?" I asked concerned.

"Do I look alright? Let me summarize- my boyfriend proposed to me... his parents are coming over from India to see me or more precisely, judge me and point out every single flaw in me and you ask if I'm alright!!" she snapped, busy crunching over the Chocos.

"So I suppose, you are not?" I confirmed. Of course I was not any good at these personal chats.

I was rewarded  with a piece of Chocos landing right on my forehead for my stupid question. 

"Oww... actually, never mind, that was just impulsive. It didn't hurt really." I smiled sheepishly.

"You are crazy Aditya Mehra and I so love you for that!" she giggled.