CHAPTER 31

POV VIVAAN:

It had been almost two hours and we were still crouched behind a random car in the parking lot of the residential complex where Shanaya Mathur lived. Munching on the tomato in my hand, I looked at Meera who was busy exploring the catapult. Now, hunger could make one less choosy and stuff the available down one's throat. Yes, even tomatoes.

"Vivaan." Meera murmured.

"Hmm?" I managed with a 'stuffed-with-tomato' mouth.

"Those aren't washed. They might have pesticides on them." She said casually pointing at the tomato in my hand.

Spitting out the piece in my mouth and throwing away the half eaten one in some random direction, "Damn it Meera! I could have died, you idiot!"

 "Stop over-reacting Gulati."  She rolled her eyes, "And why is everyone accusing me of murders since morning?"

"Ummm, I don't know." I gave her a skeptical look, "Maybe because you ACTUALLY attempted murdering them!"

"Shut-up." She groaned wiping the sweat off her forehead.

I ran fingers through my 'sticky-with-sweat' hair and threw another look at the entrance as a car entered. The car drove past us and came to halt at the other end. A fat lady stepped out of it and walked away too oblivious to our presence.

"God!" I groaned in disappointment, "When is she coming Meera?"

"How am I supposed to know?" She shrugged, "One hour..... two hours... maybe three."

"What?" I turned to her, "So, we have no clue of what her schedule is and yet here we are, waiting for her in this furnace-hot parking lot!"

"Now you're catching up." She giggled, "C'mon Gulati, it might just be one of the last times we would be hanging out together."

I looked at her dumb-founded trying to make any sense out from her words other than what they actually meant. My 'not-so-emotional' heart squeezed as I failed terribly. She shouldn't go away suddenly. Definitely  NOT!

"Vivaan?" She squeezed my hands, "I might go back to New York in a few days. Nothing's decided yet but don't you worry because Arjun is going out of station for a couple of days and I'm planning to spend all my time with you so that you can complete your articles and grab a promotion super quick before I go back to----"

I jerked away her sling bag and pulling out a tomato, I squeezed it on her stupid head. I had to stop myself from stuffing one into her blabbering mouth too.

"What the fuck was that?!" She yelled trying to fix her curls which were drenched in tomato juice, "Have you lost it, you nut-head?"

"Have YOU lost it?! You will leave everyone and everything here, just like that?" I yelled back freaking out, " You know what? I can totally manage my promotion without you, okay. I don't need your stupid self to be around for that. Just go back to wherever you came from."

"Fine!" She threw a tomato back at me, "I just care about you. You don't have to go all psycho on me for that."

"Really? If you would have cared so much, you would have also bothered considering the fact that however heartless I seem, I might end up missing you terribly, you dumb female!" I squeezed yet another tomato on her.

"I'll miss you too you dog."  She wrapped her tomato-stinking arms around me, "And just for the record, throwing tomatoes over your friend isn't a very obvious way to let them know that you love them."

I chuckled wrapping my arms around her too, "Meera, Your hair stinks like tomatoes."

And that earned me one classic 'Meera-smack' on my head. I was kind of habitual to those now. How was I supposed to survive without them? Or without  this stupid 'smelling-like-tomatoes'  friend of mine? Strangely, even though I knew that Meera was never a permanent part of my life the thought of she leaving never crossed my mind. Now look at me, Vivaan Gulati, mind babbling all crappy emotional stuff for this lunatic girl who makes him hide in random parking lots smelling like tomatoes....!