[Chapter Five]

The two hobbits travelled across the valley on their ponies; with the wizard and dwarves. Freya had caught the hang of controlling the reigns right away and fell in-love with her beautiful black pony named Beauty , whilst her cousin continued to be terrified of these calm creatures. " So lass, have you done traveling before?" Balin asked her as he trotted beside her. She hated to disappoint the older dwarf. He had convinced his leader to allow her to come along, because of her knowledge that she had of different terrains but she had no real life experience.

" No..... This is my first real chance at leaving the Shire. I've tried so many times to leave....but something was holding me back." She stated as she thought about what it was that held her back every time. Was it the fact that if she left the place she called home; she wouldn't miss it, or was it because she would miss it? She couldn't figure it out. Balin noticed the hint of hesitant in her voice.

" What made you have the courage to leave now?" He asked as he gave a friendly smile to her, not disappointed in her response to his previous question.

" I guess I decided to leave because I couldn't imagine having my home taken from me and being forced into exile to start over with nothing but memories of what I once had and now lost and you came all this way for our help of all places of Middle-Earth. I know I'm no warrior but I promise my cousin and I will help you all to reclaim your home if we can." Freya answered seriously as she looked at the dwarf. Balin had already instantly fallen in-love with this hobbits kindness and only prayed no one would ever use it against her.

" Lass I have every faith in you and your cousin that you will both be assets to this Company and my brother was serious; he will teach you how to use a sword, so you can defend yourself. The hobbit was determined to learn how to fight, she didn't want to be a weak link in the company because she was a woman, but something else was bothering her about the leader.

" Balin. Are you sure Thorin wants me on this quest? He made it pretty clear he doesn't like me...or even want me a part of this Company." She wondered. The older dwarf gave the young girl a reassuring smile.

" Freya.....I know Thorin can come off a bit strong, he has nothing against you. It's just his way of showing concern for your safety. He-he doesn't want to see you get hurt, this is a dangerous quest your going on. There are other terrible cruel creatures out there in this world besides dragons. He just doesn't want to see you defenceless and unable to protect yourself, and that is why he is acting so aggressively towards you." Balin explained. The hobbit took one look at the leader and knew what she had to do.

The woman had to smile at this; underneath this old warrior, he was the most kindest dwarf she had ever met and hopped he would never change. The two of them laughed as Balin told her stories of his younger days and the leader found himself looking back at the two of them and saw the hobbit's big smile and as he turned to face in front of him. His lips curled up into a half smile.

It was getting close to evening, the sun would be disappearing soon. Dwalin wanted to begin the hobbit's sword training tonight. The company had stopped along the edge of a cliff to set up camp. Freya checked the surrounding area, while others began to get dinner ready, as others set up camp. Dwalin called the young girl over.

"Now lass watch our movement of our feet and how we plant our stance. Just say the word when your ready to try." Dwalin explained as he pulled out his sword facing his opponent; which was Fili. As the two dwarves began to spare each other. Freya watched very observantly to the way their feet moved and how to plant a firm stance. After sword fighting for awhile the two of them stopped, sweating.

"Who's next? You want a try laddie?" Dwalin asked as he looked at Bilbo, who looked up at the dwarf startled and shook his head.

" I'll go." Thorin spoke as he walked over to the woman. " Get up. I think you have observed long enough, it's time to see what you got." He said sternly as he took his youngest nephews sword from him and gave it to Freya; realizing it was more heavier then it looked, though still managing to hold it.

" Now lass remember plant your feet when fighting. " Dwalin reminded her as she nodded to him only to just see in time Thorin swinging his blade down at her, making her shriek in surprise. She managed to block his blow as she held the sword in front of her face. She could tell just from the pressure the leader was putting on her, that he wasn't going easy on her as the blade moved closer to her face. She managed to push his blade away from her as she stumbled backwards, losing her balance for moment as she caught herself. The older dwarf watched as he looked at the hobbit, nervously. The leader was going way to hard on her than he need to be.

" Keep your feet planted!" Kili shouted to Freya, trying to encourage her to stand her ground. Bilbo watched, terrified for his cousin. Freya's mistake was looking at her feet to make sure they were planted and Thorin went to strike. The woman was too slow to move out of the way in time and the blade sliced through her arm. She let out a scream from the burning on her arm as it bled. Thorin came at her harder, ignoring her sudden scream and knocked her sword out of her hand as she fell over, putting her arms in front of her, indicating for him to stop. Balin was furious with the leader as he had enough watching this. Thorin made the girl back up against a tree as she looked at him with terror in her eyes as if he was actually going to end her life.

" Thorin! That is enough! She is not an Orc! She is just a girl. There is no need to scare her like that!" Balin yelled in frustration at the leader as he walked over to them. Thorin lowered his sword, no sign of sorry on his face as he backed a few steps away from the hobbit.

" She's weak. if she is serious about wanting to learn to fight, then she'll be learning the hard way. We don't have time on this quest to teach her step by step. Your in the wild now, not in the comforts of the Shire. If you can't wheel a sword, you'll be dead before we make it the mountain." Thorin stated harshly at the woman. He caught the older dwarf eyeing him as he shook his head at him in disapproval for being so cold to the hobbit. Thorin walked off as Balin walked over to the girl and helped her up.

" Come on lets get that wrapped up." Balin said calmly to the girl as he helped her off the ground and took her to see Oin, who is there medical dwarf. He had the hobbit's arm wrapped up in no time as the rest of the company waited for dinner.