[Chapter Forty]

Everyone was silent, as the door slowly opened to reveal a tunnel inside. "Erebor." Thorin breathed as he stood in the door way.

"Thorin." Balin's voice broke from behind the dwarf prince. Thorin glanced behind him and placed a hand on his old friend. He slid his hand over the wall, as he entered the hall. Recalling every memory he ever had.

" I know these Walls....These halls...This stone." The prince whispered as he walked further on. "You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light."

" I remember." The elder dwarf agreed as he entered. The other dwarves followed in behind Balin, the two hobbit to follow in behind. As Freya entered, she gazed upon her surroundings in awe, she couldn't wait to see the rest of the mountain, it's beauty and secrets it held. Thorin glanced in her direction and saw the smile that had formed across her face as she traced the patterns along the stone.

"Herein lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home." Gloin read. The two hobbit's joined the others to look at the inscription, unaware the dwarf prince's mind was on other things further in the mountain.

"The throne of the king." Balin stated, when he saw the cousins expressions.

" Huh." Bilbo mumbled. Freya was curious as to what the object was above the throne.

"And what's that above it?" She asked.

"The Arkenstone."

"Arkenstone....And what's that?" Bilbo wondered as he looked at the eldest dwarf.

"That, master burglar...is why you are here." Thorin spoke from behind them. The dwarves gathered around their burglar. Is reason for his presence was finally here. And he tried to hide his sinking feeling.

The company wished their burglar luck in finding the Arkenstone, but when it came to Freya wishing her cousin luck she hugged him tightly and found it harder then she thought to let him go and she tried to hide the tears that forced their way out.

" Freya, it's okay. I'll be fine." Bilbo assured her, when he heard his younger cousin's muffled cry's. " I promised I would do this." He reminded her. Thorin came up behind the woman, Bilbo looked up when he saw the dwarf.

" Freya, you have to let him go." Thorin spoke softly behind her and he gently pulled her away from the hobbit.

" Bilbo, just be-careful." She begged him. Bilbo nodded, forming a tiny smile and he followed Balin down the hall and around the corner and he was no longer in sight. Thorin led the woman back outside to join the others, they didn't want to risk alerting the dragon, of their presence; if it is alive. Once outside Freya went and sat against the wall, as she tried not to think about what dangers lied waiting for her cousin. Thorin was standing by Balin and Dwalin and he happened to peer over at her and he felt lost as how to convince her that she had nothing to worry about.

The other dwarves seemed unaware of the woman's change of mood and continued on with their discussions around her. Freya was fidgeting with her hands when she felt the presence of someone had approached her. She looked up and saw it was Thorin. He took a seat beside her.

" Freya, you got nothing to worry about." Thorin stated.

" I know..." She mumbled back, as she continued to fidget and not look at the dwarf. He reach over and took hold of her hand, causing her to look back at him.

" I promise nothing will happen to him...I have faith in your cousin, and you should to." he stated, giving her a reassuring smile. She smiled back. He wrapped his arm around her, and she rested her head on his shoulder.

It was growing darker, the hobbit had been in the mountain for a very long time and made the others anxious as they had no idea if their friend was alive or dead. Freya had almost fallen asleep against Thorin, who seemed somewhat relieved that he calmed her down somewhat. Suddenly the mountain shook, making them both jump up and look around nervously.

"Was that an earthquake?" Dori asked. As everyone too wondered what had caused the mountain to rumble

"That, my lad...was a dragon." Balin answered seriously.Everyone grew silent as their worst fears had been realized, the dragon was not dead. Thorin was standing at the edge of the cliff, his mind was somewhere else, only concerned about one particular thing.

" What about Bilbo?" Ori cried, as he saw the glowing light emitting from inside the mountain.

"Give him more time." Thorin hastily answered.

" Time to do what?" the elder dwarf questioned. "To be killed?" Thorin turned to look at Balin, noting the annoyance in his tone.

"You're afraid." Thorin simple stated.

"Yes, I'm afraid." Balin admitted. "I fear for you." he pointed at him, stepping closer. "A sickness lies upon that treasure hoard. A sickness which drove your grandfather mad."

" I am not my grandfather." Thorin snapped in disgust. The sickness had never effected him years ago when he lived in the mountain, why would it now?

" You're not yourself." Balin argued, having noticed the dwarf's change in attitude as they had gotten closer to the mountain. The things that had once seem important before, no longer mattered. There was only one thing his mind was set on right now. "The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there--"

" I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar." Thorin hissed and Balin backed away and looked at him in astonishment. Freya looked at the prince in shock. She couldn't understand where this was all suddenly coming from. Did he really think that of her cousin?

" Bilbo. His name is Bilbo." Thorin continued to stare off into the distances, ignoring the words that were spoken from the elder dwarf. Freya felt her breath was stuck in throat as she continued to stare at the dwarf that was now acting so strangely since they left Laketown. She glanced at the doorway, seeing it light up once again and she feared for her cousin. Thorin saw her out of the corner of his eye making a run towards the door and grabbed her by the arm.

" Don't be foolish Freya, going in there is pointless." Thorin snapped harshly, not realizing he had a hold of her tightly.

"Thorin please your hurting me." She pleaded to him as she looked him in the eyes, trying to find the dwarf that had been so carrying moments ago.

"Thorin let her go." Balin ordered. Thorin looked down and saw her arm was already turning color from how tight his grip was on her. He released her arm and looked at her as if he wanted to apologize but the words never seemed to come out. He turned away, looking back over the cliff. Freya backed away from him towards the door and dashed passed the other dwarves into the mountain.

"Freya, come back!" Dwalin shouted. Somehow the prince seemed to break through his haze briefly, hearing her name as he turned to look at the entrance in fear for the woman's life.