[Chapter Forty Two]

Dwarves and the two hobbit's discussed what the plan would be to lure the dragon to the forges, their were countless halls they could take that led to that particular place. They decided they would all split up in groups, make it as hard for the dragon as they could. Thorin made hast over to the woman. " You and Bilbo are coming with Balin and I." Freya nodded and looked around and waved her cousin to come join them.

The other dwarves had already left to the other halls that would lead to the forges. Thorin grabbed Freya's hand and they began running out of the doorway of a hall, across the stone bridge." This way." Thorin ordered, not bothering to keep his voice down, it was the only way to know where the dragon was.

" Flee. Flee! Run for your lives." The dragon hissed, causing the four of them to come to halt as the dragon came towards them, still uttering threats." There is nowhere to hide."

"Behind you!" Ori yelled. Smaug whipped his head around to another group of dwarves.

"Worm!" Dori taunted and the dragon rushed at them. "Come on run!" Thorin started running again, pulling the hobbit with him and Balin and Bilbo followed quickly behind.

"Hey, you!" Dwalin barked. "Over here!" The dragon turned in their direction and growled at them as he launched himself at the two dwarves but they got through the doorway just in time, just as another pair ran in another direction across a lower bridge.

Thorin and the others weaved their way through the halls, panting but kept going. "This way. It's this way!" Balin shouted, stopping at an entrance on the side. "Come on!" Freya and Bilbo stopped but Thorin didn't hear Balin.

" Thorin!" Bilbo yelled. The dwarf turned around, realizing he went to far. He started to run back when they felt the stone under them begin to tremble. They all turn around to see the dragon coming around the corner. Freya looked back at Thorin.

"Thorin, run!" She cried, waving her arms for him to get over to them before the dragon got closer. Thorin glanced at the beast and knew he wouldn't make it in time.

"Follow Balin!"

The elder dwarf pulled the woman into the tunnel as the dragon's chest began to glow orange. "Thorin." Bilbo called out to his friend.

"Come on!" Balin urged as he pulled the burglar into the tunnel just in time as the dragon unleashed the fire down the hall towards Thorin. Balin and the cousin's soon came to the end of the tunnel and were in the forges, with the others. The only ones that were unaccounted for was Thorin, Dwalin, Bifur, Gloin and Nori. Freya turned around to the sound of footsteps coming closer and saw it was Thorin, Dwalin and Nori.

"The plan's not gonna work." Dwalin pressed, the furnaces haven't been used since the day the dragon had come, which was over 170 years ago. "These furnaces are stone cold." he added.

"He's right." Balin agreed, as he scanned the area not seeing much hope for this plan to go any further. "We've no fire hot enough to set them ablaze." The elder dwarf informed. Thorin glanced around, he wasn't going to give up now, his plan worked so far, he smirked when he remembered they had just the thing and laid just on the other side of the bared gate.

"Have we not?" The prince walked over to the bars with determination. "I did not look to see you so easily outwitted." He hissed as the dragon started to emerge from the hole. The other's tensed up, wondering what the dwarf was trying to do. "You have grown slow and fat...in your dotage." He continued to insult the beast.

"Thorin, are you sure this is a good idea?" Freya question, seeing how angry the dragon was getting. Thorin ignored her question, he was taunting him on purpose in order for him to perform the job he needed in the short time they had. "Slug!" He turned around to look at the others as the dragon's chest was once again glowing. "Take cover."

"Go!" The dwarves made hast to hide behind the pillars as the dragon unleashed his wrath upon them. Freya and Bilbo hid behind one pillar, covering their faces from the pressure of the heat that blew passed them, right at the furnace's and they began to light up just as the dwarf had planned.