[Chapter Thirty Seven]

It was the next morning. Freya woke up to the sun shinning through her window. She groaned knowing she had to get up. They had to reach the door today or else they traveled all this way for nothing. The woman got out of bed and put her normal clothes on and left the room and headed down the hall to the main doors that led outside. She was just about to the doors when she felt someone take her hand and pulled her to the side. A smile formed across the hobbit's face when she saw who it was. " Thorin. Is everything alright?"

"Everything's fine. I wanted to see you before we joined the others." He lifted his hand and caressed her cheek, his fingers tracing along her neck and he pressed lips against hers. Her hands made their way into his, pulling him closer to her. Two of them heard the voices of the company coming down the hall. The two of them released each other just in time before the others came into view. Thorin took lead in front of the others and walked out the grand doors to the boat that awaited them.

" You do know we're one short." Bilbo stated noticing when he did a head count to make sure his cousin and the others were all accounted for. "Where's Bofur?"

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin replied, moving through the crowd towards the boat.

" We'll have to." Balin insisted " If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays." Freya was following behind Dwalin who was behind Thorin, The fearless dwarf swipt Thorin on the back of the head, causing him to turn around in surprise. The woman narrowed her eyes as she walked beside Balin.

"What was that for?" Thorin questioned, rubbing the back of his head.

" You just couldn't wait till morning to kiss the lass, could yah?" Dwalin grumbled, still mad he had lost the bet against his brother. Freya looked at Balin.

" There's really nothing, dwarves wont bet on, is there?" Balin gave her an amused smile.

"Just something we've always done."

They reached the dock where the master was all dressed up in his fancy clothes, to wish the company good luck and farewell. Guards were handing supplies and weapons to the dwarves to load onto the boat. The dwarves began to climb onto the boat, Kili was about to go on when Thorin stopped him. "Not you. We must travel at speed. You will slow us down." Kili let out a slight chuckle thinking his uncle was merely joking, until he saw the seriousness on his face.

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"Not now." Thorin replied. Fili was already on the boat and witnessed what was going on between his uncle and his brother.

" I'm going to be there when that door is opened." Kili said, determined. "When we first look upon the halls of our father, Thorin."

" Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed. " Thorin insisted as he placed a hand on his nephew's shoulder. Freya was behind Kili and didn't like the idea of having anyone being left behind.

"Thorin...." Freya interrupted. " You can't leave him behind."

"Freya, this doesn't concern you. This is between my nephew and I, please get on the boat." He said sternly. She was taken a little by his sudden change in tone of voice with her. He had been so different earlier when they were alone in the hall. She obeyed his order and he helped her onto the boat and the hobbit went and stood by her cousin. She glanced back looking at the young dwarf, he looked even more paler then he did a day ago and he even had a look as if he was in pain that he was trying so hard to hid it.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." Oin pressed, as he climbed off the boat and back onto the docks.

"Uncle." Fili called out, coming beside the woman. Thorin turned and looked his eldest nephew in the eyes. " We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!" Fili protested.

"Fili--"

"I will carry him if I must!"

" One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin." Thorin stated firmly. Fili looked at his uncle with a hint of betrayal and then he looked at his younger brother. He couldn't go any further, if his brother was with him. The two of them had never been separated and he wasn't going to be now. With determination Fili climbed off the boat and made hast passed his uncle when Thorin turned and grabbed him by his clothing. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the company."

"I belong with my brother." Fili pulled out of Thorin's grip and went over to his brother. Freya turned her head away. She had a bad feeling about this. The rest of the dwarves climbed onto the boat. Cheers and applause were heard from the gathering crowds when the master climbed onto a higher platform to say farewell to the dwarves.

"Go now with our goodwill and good wishes. And may your return bring good fortune to all!" The master proclaimed. The people of Lake-town cheered as the dwarves pushed off the dock with their oars and they were moving through Lake-town and they were soon out in the open water, heading towards the mountain. The ride across the water was rather quite. Freya still didn't feel right leaving Fili, Kili, Bofur and Oin behind, while they continued on, it wasn't right to do this without them.

Thorin stood at the front of the boat, the mist was clearing up and the mountain came into view. The sight was beautiful and the woman could only imagine how breath taken it would be when they arrived inside the mountain. They came to stop when they came to shore. Thorin climbed off and helped the woman off. While the others were busy getting their supplies out of the boat, Thorin walked over to the woman to find out what had her so worried.

"Freya, what's wrong?"

" We shouldn't have left them behind, it's not right," She stated, getting right to the point, as she paced around. Thorin grabbed her, making her stop to look at him.

" They'll be fine. They have Bofur and Oin with them. As soon as Kili is stronger, they will join us." He assured her, pulling her toward him into a kiss and he pulled away looking into her eyes, with a smile and stroking her cheek. Thorin and Freya had distant themselves when the others began to gather around them. Thorin led the way as the hunt for the secret door began.