[Chapter Forty Four]

The dwarves and the two hobbit's were no longer inside the mountain. They were now on the nearest tower that looked over the lake and in the distance they could see the damage the dragon had inflicted. The forsaken town on the lake was burning and it was all their fault. They could hear the people's faint screams for their lives as the beast continued to terrorize the lake.

Freya would jump at the sound of the piercing screams that carried through the night. She couldn't even imagine the terror those people were facing now. Running for their lives, with the unlikely thought of escaping alive. The dwarves never should have let the dragon leave the mountain; this was all their fault. The people of Lake-town offered them their help and in return they got the wrath of dragon fire.

"Poor souls." Balin sighed in despair. The dwarves continued to sit in silence, most unable to watch what they had unleashed on those innocent people. Freya was on the ground, near the eldest dwarf who still dared to watch. A terrible thought had crossed the woman's mind.

" Do you think they made it out?" She whispered, Balin turned away from the burning lake and looked at the hobbit.

"Who?"

"Bofur, Oin, Fili and Kili? Do you think we'll see them again?" Freya asked, with a hint of fear. Balin took another glance at the horrendous sight, he knew the likely odds and he turned to look the woman in the eyes.

" Lass, all we can do is pray that they made it out alive." Balin admitted as he placed a comforting hand on the hobbit's shoulder and her eyes shifted to the ground, hearing the dwarf have doubt in that. Bilbo glanced at the woman, noticing the state she was in and he searched for one person in particular. The burglar remembered when his cousin had been in a similar state, a certain dwarf had been quick to comfort her, but as he found the dwarf in question he seemed to be anything but as Thorin continued to ignore what was going on in the distance behind him, starring at his home with such desire for what lay deep within it.

His mind was at lost for any concerns for his company's safety or the possible where about's of his nephew's and kin; if they had in fact escaped or were killed. Bilbo continued to narrow his eyes. Something was indeed wrong, ever since his confrontation with Thorin in the treasure room, he had been acting different and his only conclusion was that the dragon sickness had begun to spread in his mind, pulling him into the darkness.

"W-what was that?" Ori stuttered. "What happened.

" It fell. I saw it." Bilbo uttered as they all gathered at the ledge to see if they could get a better look. "It's dead." He stated as he turned around to the others. "Smaug is dead." This news had reached the king's ear's though he did not turn around, he continued to stare upon the kingdom.

"By my beard, I think he's right!" Gloin proclaimed as the sounds of birds began to caw. " Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain." Thorin listened as he heard his company cheer as their home was once again there's, relieved the dragon would not be coming back for them. Freya couldn't help but smile at thought, they had finally done it they had reclaimed the mountain like they set out to do and she wrapped her arm's around her cousin that this difficult journey hadn't been for nothing. That the elder was right, maybe by some small chance their friends were still alive that they had escaped.

" Aye, word will spread." Balin agreed." Before long every soul in Middle-Earth will know the dragon is dead!" As the king heard this, he was only concerned with one thing: The Arkenstone. He had to find the Arkenstone before others hear of this and come marching onto his doorstep and try and take it and his gold from him.

Freya had caught at the last second someone disappearing down the steps. She wandered down the stairs and stood on the platform where Thorin had been previously standing and watched as the dwarf made hast back to Erebor. She found it strange he would leave so abruptly without saying a word. The woman began to wonder if she should follow him or inform the others as he got further and further out of her sight and a troublesome thought entered her mind.