[Chapter Thirty Four]

Nightfall had come. Bard hadn't return since he had taken off so suddenly. Bain tried to convince the dwarves to stay until his father returned but they had wasted enough time, they needed weapons now. The dwarves shoved passed the young boy with no problem and left with the two hobbits.

The company made their way carefully through the market of Lake-town towards the armory and they were hiding behind some crates. " Can you see anything?" Bilbo whispered and the dwarves saw two guards on the other side of the docks, doing their rounds.

" Shh! Keep it down." Oin hissed at the others.

" As soon as we have the weapons, we make straight for the mountain." Thorin urged, silencing all the whispers of complaints from the company and making them to get down to business. " Go, go, go." Nori was the first to go, he got a running start and climbed onto the dwarves that had made themselves a pyramid to the open window. The next dwarf went and then the next, then Bilbo and Freya and Thorin was the last after his youngest nephew. They were inside the armory, collecting as many weapons as they could pile on Kili. Freya went to add a sword on the others that Kili was carrying when she noticed his limp.

" Are you okay?" The hobbit asked, he had become quite pale, since they escaped from the orcs that attacked ambushed them in Mirkwood.

" I'm fine it's nothing." Kili growled at her and moved to his uncle next, who saw him struggling and looked at with concern.

" I'm fine, really. Let's just get out of here." Kili insisted, getting frustrated with everyone worrying about him. Thorin added his weapons on top. Kili went to move to the stairs when he collapsed and fell down the stairs and the weapons clanged together.

They heard the shouting of guards coming. " Run!" Dori yelled, but the dwarves out side didn't make it very far when they had spears being pointed right at them. The dwarves and the two hobbits in the armory grabbed the weapons off the wall ready to fight only to have several guards point spears at them too. One guard had Kili with a dagger at his throat and the youngest nephew looked up at his uncle sadly and guilty.

The guards drag the company out of the armory and push them down the streets of Lake-Town to the home of the master. A few of the dwarves tried to fight the guards along the way only to be grabbed by their clothing. The two hobbits didn't bother to attempt to fight and followed willingly.

"Move on!" A guard shouted. It's beginning to snow, the towns people seeing the commotion outside their homes follow behind them and they are forced to a stop in front of the masters mansion.

"What is the meaning of this?" An unattractive man shouted in anger, pulling on his coat eyeing the crowd.

" We caught'em stealing weapons, sire." A guard says.

" Ah. Enemies of the state, ehm?" The master stated.

" A desperate bunch of mercenaries, if ever there was, sire." Alfrid snarled. Freya looked up recognizing the voice from when they were on the barge in the barrels when Bard tried to convince this man to not dump the fish back into the water.

"Hold your tongue!" Dwalin growled at the man stepping towards him." You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!"

Thorin stepped out from behind Bilbo and Freya towards the Master. Murmurs and gasps are heard from the crows behind them. "We are the dwarves of Erebor." Thorin revealed. "We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town in the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the center of all trade in the North!" Those who remembered such a time long ago murmured their agreements. " I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!" The crowd was cheering around them, of the thought of wealth they so longed to have once more.

"Death!" A voice shouted from behind the crowd. Thorin and the others turned around to see Bard coming throw the crowd. " That is what you will bring upon us! Dragon fire and ruin. If you waken that beast, it will destroy us all." The townspeople were murmuring once again remembering the devastating day.

" You can listen to the naysayer, but I promise you this: if we succeed all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!" The townspeople were inspirit once more except for one, the bargeman continued to look at the dwarf livid, knowing the consequences.

"Why should we take you at your word, eh? We know nothing about you. Who here can vouch for your character?" Alfrid questioned, still standing at the masters side.

The crowd was silent. they patiently waited for an answer, but none would speak up. Freya looked around, shivering from the cold weather that continued to come down.

" I can."

The crowd turned in the direction of the voice that spoke. The master and Alfrid narrowed their eyes, surprised a woman would be traveling with a bunch of dwarves. " I'll vouch for him too." Bilbo spoke up joining his cousins side and Thorin turned to look at them.

"The two of us have traveled far with these dwarves through great danger, and if Thorin Oakenshield gives his word...then he will keep it." Freya declared. Thorin looked at them both and nodded with a feeling of gratitude.

" All of you! Listen to me! You must listen!" Bard yelled, he couldn't let the people aid the dwarves to get them to the mountain. " Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?! And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain king, so riven by greed he could not see beyond his own desire!" The crowd was murmuring once again, some remembered that day when Dale was destroyed but it was still unclear if they were inclined to help the dwarves with the promise of riches or side with the bargeman. Thorin turned and glared at Bard,

The woman noticed Nori out of the corner of her eye about to attack the man when he was held back by his brothers. " Now, now!" The master spoke up, and silence fell amongst the crowd." We must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame." He continued pointing a finger at Bard. " Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast! Hmm?"

" It's true, sire." Alfrid concurred. "We all know the story. Arrow after arrow, he shot. Each one missin' it's mark."

Bared glowered at Thorin and walked over to the dwarf until he was only inches from him. " You have no right." He says, shaking his head at him. "No right to enter that mountain."

Thorin leaned towards the man. " I have the only right." He hissed and turned to face the master. " I speak to the master of the men of the lake." He begins, walking up a few of the steps. " Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?" The townspeople waited anxiously for the answer of the master. " What say you?"

The master smirked, only needing a few seconds until his mind filled with greed. " I say unto you. Welcome! Welcome! And thrice welcome... King under the mountain!" he proclaimed as cheers filled the town square.