[Chapter Fifty Five]

A troll charged at the wall surrounding the city and broke through, knocking itself out in the process and dozens of orcs began swarming the streets of Dale. Terrifying screams were heard throughout the city as woman and children flee for safety. Freya and Bilbo entered the city with the wizard only moments after the group of lake men charged in.

The cousins stayed together, fighting off every orc that came at them. Gandalf wasn't too far away as he took out the orcs around him." Freya duck!" Bilbo shouted. The woman ducked out of the way as her older cousin sliced through the chest of the vile creature. The screams and roars continued throughout the ruined city as more and more orcs invaded. The elves continued to fight along side with the dwarves to eliminate their common enemy. The dwarf King continued to hid in his mountain, ignoring what was happening outside his walls as he paced around in his treasure room, wondering what he should do to make sure that his gold was protected from all who wished to take it from him.

The rest of the company continued to watch their kin fight their enemy, but their numbers were quickly dropping as the orc army only continued to grow. The elf king had made his way to the ruin city, killing every orc in his path; his army following close behind him. One by one the dwarves turned away from the horrifying sight of their kin screaming in pain. Dwalin decided to reason with their king one last time and he marched down the stairs and headed for the treasure room. Once he came to the room he noticed the leader was nowhere to be found and his only conclusion was that he must be in the throne room. The fearless dwarf made hast down the hall and sure enough found Thorin sitting in the kings chair who appeared to be in deep thought about something. The king looked up to see Dwalin coming towards him, determination in every step he took. " Thorin. Since when do we forsake our own people?" Dwalin demanded as he climbed up the steps. Thorin remained silent at this. "Thorin, they are dying out there." the dwarf continued, but this news didn't seem to matter one bit to the king, it only raised concerns about his gold. If his kin was dying out there, then how was he supposed to keep all his gold safe from others.

"There are halls beneath halls within this mountain. Places we can fortify, shore up, make safe. Yes." Thorin stated, getting up from the chair and took a few steps towards Dwalin, who was looking at Thorin as if he no longer knew who he was. "yes, that is it. We must move the gold further underground to safety."

"Did you not hear me?" Dwalin growled. Causing Thorin stop and turn around to look at the dwarf. " Dain is surrounded. They're being slaughtered, Thorin."

"Many die in war. Life is cheap." Thorin muttered "but treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost." Dwalin gasped at this. Bilbo was right, He had indeed changed.

"What about Freya? And Bilbo?" Dwalin dared asked. Thorin shook his head hearing those names and looked at the dwarf.

"What about them?" Thorin hissed.

"They are both out there! Fighting for their lives! They will be killed Thorin." Dwalin pressed, trying to get some kind rouse out of the leader, to do what was right but the king continued to look at him with no expression.

"Let them be. She betrayed me by taking the stone to the elf king and that bowman along with that useless burglar. It is worth all the blood we can spend." The king hissed.

"She didn't do it to betray you Thorin. They did it to save you from what you are becoming. You sit here in these vast halls with a crown upon your head and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." Dwalin growled in frustration.

"Do not speak to me...as if I were some lowly dwarf Lord, as if I were still...Thorin Oakenshield" the dwarf's voice broke and quickly turn to rage just as fast. "I AM YOUR KING!" Thorin shouted as he pulled out his sword.

"You were always my king. You used to know that once. You cannot see what you have become." Dwalin stated in disappointment.

"Go. Get out. Before I kill you." Thorin warned. The fearless warrior scoffed at that threat and left back down the hall to the others. Thorin continued to sit on his throne in deep thought, until he heard a voice in his head telling him to go the gallery of the Kings, where the floor was made of gold.

Freya and Bilbo continued to fight off the orcs in the city. The woman had never been more thankful then she was now for all the sword lessons she had learned from Dwalin, Fili, Kili and even Thorin. Freya stabbed another orc in the chest and it fell to the ground and she quickly hid behind a pillar trying to catch her breath. As she looked around she saw the city was on fire and blood everywhere. Elves, men, woman and children slaughtered by the orcs that continued to invade. More and more came and Freya and Bilbo ran for higher ground.

Dain and his army were nearly spent as they continued to defend Erebor. The enemies horn sounded again for the armies to engage. The company had moved from the battlement. The dwarves had removed their heavy army and tossed in a pile. This was not who they were. They were not the type to turn away, when their kin was in dire need of their help right now. This was their battle.

Just then Kili looked up from where he was sitting and saw Thorin coming towards them with his sword at his side and the young dwarf stood up, the others seeing his sudden movement and looked in his direction. " I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!" Kili shouted in anger as continued to make his way towards the older dwarf. " It is not in my blood, Thorin."

"No. It is not." Thorin stated in agreement. "We are sons of Durin. And Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." Kili couldn't help but smile to see his uncle was no longer under the influence of the sickness, the curse was finally broken. Thorin pressed his forehead to his nephews and then walked to the others to seek their forgiveness. " I have no right to ask this of any of you. But will you follow me...one last time?" Dwalin and Kili came up right behind Thorin waiting for the others to decided. All of them nodded, taking their weapons in hand.

Freya took off towards the wall when she heard the enemies horn again. Bilbo was right behind her as they saw what was left of Dain's army and Azog's forces that were lined up to finish them all off. Just then a different horn was heard causing the orcs, and trolls to stop in their tracks. "Where is that coming from?" Bilbo wondered as he looked around until he saw his cousins face.

"It's Thorin." She answered as a smile formed on her face, knowing he was no longer cursed with the dragon sickness.