[Final Chapter]

Five Years Later....

Freya was out in her garden, working on getting rid of the weeds and collecting her vegetables that were ready to be picked. She would often hear her two daughters playfully screaming throughout her home. It was the joyous sound to her ears. It's spring time and the sun was shinning down over the peaceful valley of her home. Since she returned, Freya felt like the Shire was not the same, she was not the same. She experienced things no hobbit could ever dream of doing; or would do for that matter. Not a day went by that she didn't think of Thorin and how different things could have been, if only she could have saved him. Freya didn't sleep much these passing nights and her daughters often found her crying but with everyday she got a little better. She knew she would always have a part of Thorin with her.

As Thora and Thea got older, she saw little things that reminded her of their father. Thora had proven to be just as stubborn; if not more then Thorin and she had his black hair but it was curlier. She also could be just as proud and brave as him. Thea had his strong heart, and had his smile that Freya wished she would have seen more of. Thea was more like her mother she could be just as sweet but could be stubborn when she wanted to be and she had the colour of her mothers hair and it wasn't as curly like her sisters. Both girls had their fathers eyes.

The woman was carrying her basket full of the fresh crops she had just picked and was about to go inside when she heard a familiar voice she never thought she would hear again. "Freya." The woman slowly turned around to see Balin and Dwalin standing at her gate and a smile spread across her face to see her friends.

"Balin. Dwalin. What are you two doing here?" She asked in surprise as she walked up to both of them and hugged them both.

"Why checking up on you lass." Dwalin chuckled. " You didn't think we forget about you did ya?"

"Would you both care to come in for some tea? I got cookies." She encouraged with a smirk.

"Don't mind if I do." Dwalin said as he walked passed her.

"Of course we would lass." Balin added and the woman looped her arm around his and they went inside her home. Freya placed her pot over the fire to get hot and placed the plate of fresh cookies on the table. Dwalin helped himself. The water began to boil and she poured Balin and herself a cup and poured Dwalin a mug of ale. " How have you been lass? Since everything." Balin asked from across the table.

"I've been okay.......it's been hard since....Thorin left but I get by. " She admitted, and she let out a shaky breath. "How are the others? I miss them so much."

"They are all doing fine. " Balin replied with a smile. They miss you and Bilbo dearly. Freya couldn't help but smile, thinking of all the moments she spent with the company. She never would trade any of it for the world. They were apart of her and she was thankful for that.

" That's good to hear..." She mumbled as her smile slowly faded.

"Freya.. Are you alright? You look a little under the weather." Balin pointed out, looking at her with concern. He knew it had to be the grief she felt for the loss of Thorin, Fili and Kili but this grief was only going to weigh heavier on her heart if she didn't find a way to move on.

"I don't sleep much these nights...." She began, the dwarf looked at her not with disappointment but in understanding. " I see him Balin.....every time I try to close my eyes. I see him when I'm awake and....it's just hard to let him go..." She admitted, quickly wiping her eyes before the tears would come out. Balin took her hand in his and gave her a smile.

"Lass....I can't imagine what you are going through but I promise things will start to get better." The hobbit smiled but it never reached her eyes and suddenly they all heard a shriek from down the hall.