Chapter 21 A

///Chapter 21\\\ 

Part A

Luna's POV

I had been gone for two days, riding by night and sleeping by day. I was so scared that they had found out and were after me. I didn’t know how much longer until I would happen upon Ariel and Tyler’s friend but I hoped it was soon. I wasn’t out of food or anywhere near but I needed to know how much time I had before they might find me.

There was also the box. I still couldn’t figure out how to open it and it was driving me crazy. I knew there was something in it from the weight but no matter what I did it refused to open. I had tried getting Ginger to step on it but that hadn’t worked. Nothing seemed to.

“What am I doing Ginger?” I ask her and she shakes her head. “Yeah I don’t know either.” I say and lay my head against her back. I was comfortable and about to fall asleep when she suddenly started into a sprint and I had to wrap my arms around her to keep from falling.

She ran for about five minutes before bursting through our cover of the trees into a wide open field. I pulled on her reins to pull her back but she just continued through the field until we ended up in front of a house.

“What do you think you’re doing letting your horse run wild.” An older lady yells, storming out of her house, her face red in rage

“I’m so sorry.” I say, dismounting from Ginger. Just as I let go she walked to the lady and nuzzled her affectionately.

“Ginger?” The lady asks surprised and Ginger nods her head, snorting loudly. “I’ve missed you.” She says rubbing her behind the ears and smiling before turning to me. “Who are you?”

“A friend of Ariel’s.” I say and she gives me a disbelieving look.

“You’re too old to be Ariel’s friend. More likely than not you’re Tyler’s which would make sense as to why you’re riding Ginger. However Tyler has next to no girl friend’s and he wouldn’t dare introduce me to them so you’re either his fiancée or you’re trying to trick me into something.” She says and I laugh a little.

“Luna, Tyler’s fiancée.” I say extending my hand. Instead of taking it she surprises me by pulling me into a hug.

“I’ve been waiting to meet you.” She says and looks behind me. “But where is Tyler?”

“I suppose you haven’t heard then?” I ask and she looks at me confused before it turns to worry.

“Has something happened? Are they alright?”

“Tyler is fine.” I say and her worry grows. “Somebody attacked Ariel. They scrawled words into her back. She’s recovering.”

“Who would do such a thing?” She gasps.

“Apparently I would.” I say with a small smile and she looks at me shocked then confused. “They’re accusing me of trying to kill Ariel and having a plan for the King.”

“But why you? You don’t seem to be a threat.”

“I’m not entirely sure why me but they seem to have proof and Ariel thought it best I flee.” I explain and she looks thoughtful.

“Well if Ariel trusts you then I suppose I do too. She’s always been a good judge in character. Come inside, you must be exhausted”

“Thank you but I won’t stay long. I don’t want you to be in trouble just because of me.”

“Oh nonsense child, come, if I get in trouble it will be because of my own carless mistakes. I will just have to be careful with what I say.” She says smiling.

“I should make sure Ginger is settled properly.” I say and she jumps excitedly.

“I haven’t seen her in years, how has she been. She was being quite difficult when I last saw her. Has she calmed down from when Lucy died? I suppose she has a bit if she lets you ride her.”

“I suppose she has. Was Lucy the queen?” I ask, Tyler had never said her name in front of me so I had no idea.

“Yes, she was my best friend. We were joined at the hip until she was pulled away to the castle, I never expected to see her again but imagine my surprise to find out she was to be queen.”

“I can imagine.” I say with a smile. “May I ask you a personal question?”

“You can ask but I might not answer.” She says and I smile at how similar she is to me.

“Why do you live out here and not in the Sign Lands?”

“I got into some trouble with the authorities and Lucy pleaded with the king to get me out of there. They still don’t know I’m here but if they did they’d arrest me.”

“I see, that explains why Ariel sent me here.” I say and she laughs.

“Ariel’s a smart girl, she doesn’t do anything without thinking it through first.” She says and I nod in agreement.

We continued to talk through the rest of the day, as we told each other about ourselves. I got along well with Gell, that’s her name I found out, and we had a lot in common. It was beginning to get dark by the time I finally grew tired. I had been tired all day but it was most evident by the time the sun began to set.

“Oh dear, I should have realized how tired you would be.” She says after I let out a large yawn.

“It’s not a big deal. I enjoyed talking to you.” I say but she just shakes her head.

“It was stupid of me. I’ll go make up the guest room. Why don’t you just wait here.” She says and I nod.

I got up from the couch and began to collect the few things I had and remembered the box. I pulled it out and set it on my lap and began to run my fingers over the top of it again when suddenly something moved. Looking at it closer I did the same and saw a small piece of the cover slide over revealing a shallow dip with a slot in it.

“The answer is in your heart?” Gell says confused from the door and I look at her with my brows furrowed.

“Excuse me?”

“The engravings on the box. It says the answer is in your heart.” She says and I look at her surprised. I furrowed my brows a little and looked back to the box.

Peering closer at the slot I realized that it was only wide at the top and slimmed down at the bottom. As I leaned closer my necklace also slipped from its place under my shirt and the heart hung just under my chin, swinging back and forth. Taking the chance I slipped the chain over my head and slipped the key into the slot.

I held my breath as I began to turn it and only let it out when the lid suddenly popped open. I was staring at piles of documents when I heard Gell gasp and I noticed she had come to step beside me. She gulped loudly before looking at me scared.

“Luna, does your moms name happen to be Bella?” She asks and I nod, wondering how she knew that. “We have a problem.” She says just as a knock resounds on the door. “And now an even bigger one.”

***

I am super sorry to all of my wonderful fans and everyone who has taken the time to read my story but with the start of school coming near I just can't concentrate on my writing at this time. I promise that in two weeks from today (September 1st) I will upload again but I need to take the time to readjust plus I have a lot of personal stuff going on and I just need to get things straight. I am really sorry to be doing this to you all but I really need the time right now. With all that's going on I just need to give my mind some rest

I hope you don’t all hate me forever but I promise two weeks!

Dana