Chapter 24

///Chapter 24\\\

Luna's POV

I hardly even had to push Ginger to run faster. She could sense the danger as well as I could. I rounded to the front gardens of the castle and almost gagged at the smell. I didn’t need to guess what was burning inside.

I slowed Ginger to a stop and Tyler and Shadow came pounding up behind me. Black smoke was pouring from the castle’s walls and I knew there would be no survivors. Whatever had started the fire had spread quickly, starting in the front and working its way through ever room until it had claimed everything in it’s path.

“Luna.” Tyler says softly and I turn Ginger around to face him.

“Let’s go. We can’t do anything here now.” I say and trot past him, heading toward the gates that were now black with soot. I knew something was up. It was just one of those things I could feel.

“Luna.” Tyler says from beside me and I turn to him now. “Do you think they were in there?”

I know he’s referring to Ariel, Fin and his dad but I don’t know.

“I have absolutely no idea. We just have to hope they weren’t.” I say. He nods but I can tell by the distant look in his eyes he wants to know, and desperately. “Tyler.” I start, knowing the idea of losing his father and sister was hurting him.

“I’m fine.” He says sternly and I sigh. I know there’s nothing I can do. “We should probably head for the Big Circle. I want you to stick close okay. I’m sure there will be chaos in the streets.” He says sliding off his horse.

I slide of Ginger and followed Tyler as he tied up Shadow, doing the same with Ginger after. As we began to walk away Ginger neighed loudly and I turned back. She gave me a pleading look as if begging me to bring her with but I didn’t know that I could. Tyler had stopped as well and I quickly pulled away from him and ran back to her.

“We’ll be back soon I promise. If we’re not back by the end of the day you can come find us.” I say, running a hand along her muzzle. She snorted in disbelief and I laughed. She was too human like sometimes. Suddenly she nodded her head toward Tyler and gave me a concerned look. “He’ll be fine. He’s just concerned.” Ginger gave me a doubtful look but I just laughed and scratched behind her ears. “We’ll be back.”

I walked over to Tyler again and he wrapped his arm around my waist.

“What was that?”

“Girl talk.” I say lightly and he looks at me confused. “You’d be surprised at the things a horse can do.”

He shook his head and laughed, kissing my head.

“Sometimes I have to wonder.” He says. I laughed, enjoying the light moment.

As we approached the Big Circle I was confused. I expected chaos, shouting, screaming. It was quiet. Deathly so. I couldn’t understand it. The castle was in flames and no one was freaking out. Did no one understand what was going on? They must have. There was no way someone hadn’t seen the smoke.

“Tyler?” I ask and see the confusion on his face too.

“I don’t know.” He says, looking around as confused as I am. Suddenly a movement from an alley way caught both Tyler and mines attention.

We turned to see a small girl, only about five or six years in age, poking her head out from beside the building the beckoning for us to come. I advanced easily, trusting the little girl but Tyler caught my hand as I turned.

“Luna I don’t know if we should trust her. Why would she be out when everyone else is not? There has to be something up with this.”

“Come on Tyler she’s just a little girl.” I say and pull on his hand leading him to her.