Chapter Six

The wedding is drawing closer and so is the Stanley Cup final. The Avalanche are in a game seven against Vancouver in Canada, and I've never seen Gabe this nervous in my life.

I sit on the edge of the bed of the hotel room, watching Gabe change into his suit. He looks in the mirror and his fingers stumble over his tie repeatedly. Each time he fails, he takes a deep breath and tries tying it again. After several tries, he turns to me and a look of defeat is spread across his face.

"I'm too nervous to tie this damn thing," he mumbles, looking down at his tie to try it once again, but failing.

I stand up from the bed and I walk over towards him, taking his tie in my hands and fixing it for him. When I'm done, I straighten it out and then I pat his chest. He pulls me closer by resting his hands on my hips, softly rubbing them. I look up at him and I see him already staring at me, a pale expression spread across his face. He's nervous. Very nervous.

"You're going to do great," I whisper, resting my hands on his shoulders. "Even if you don't win tonight, I'm still proud of you."

"But I want to win for you," he whispers, kissing my forehead softly.

"Then go out there and win." I look up at him, staring deep into his eyes.

A smile spreads across his face, then he leans down and kisses me passionately. I move my hands up towards his face, cupping it and feeling his playoff beard against the palms of my hands. His hands pull my hips closer to his, closing the gap between our bodies. Our lips move together as one as the kiss gets heated. I feel his hands run up and down my back, then I hear the zipper to my dress unzip. I slowly pull away and I look up at him.

"Gabe," I whisper, pressing my hands against his chest. "You have a game to play. There will be plenty of this on the honeymoon."

"I know, babe. I'm sorry," he whispers, turning red and zipping my dress back up.

"Go out there and kick some ass." I smile before I kiss his cheek, only to here him laugh in reply.

"Anything for you, baby girl."

***

Overtime. The most nerve wracking thing in sports. Especially when the overtime takes place in a game seven. It's win or go home.

I sit behind the Avalanche bench with several of the Avs' wives and girlfriends. All of us start shaking, watching our men take the ice after a twenty-minute break. Some of us bite our nails, even though we know it isn't exactly lady like.

My eyes scan the ice for number 92 in white, and then I finally see him. He looks up at me and looks as if he's trying to catch his breath, and trying to calm his nerves. He bites his lip and I do the same, soon mouthing the words "I love you" to him. He mouths "I love you, more" to me, then lines up for the face off.

"Come on, baby boy." I whisper, pulling my hands up to my face., trying to keep them warm underneath my Avalanche sweater.

The puck drops and nerves take over my body. My hands and legs start shaking, looking as if I am suffering a seizure. I keep my eyes locked on Gabe who is on the ice, fighting off a Canuck defender. The look on Gabe's face is filled with so many emotions. Fatigue, nerves, and power of will. Somehow all three of those emotions have taken over his body.

He pushes past the Canuck defender, starting a two-on-one with  Matt Duchene. I feel something grip my arm, and I look over and I see Matt's girlfriend, Ashley. She bites her nails as if she's in fear, while her other hand is digging into the flesh of my forearm. Both of our men are skating into the Vancouver zone. This could be our defining moment.

"Come on, boys." Ashley and I whisper at the same time, watching Matt and Gabe skate down the ice.

Soon Gabe passes it to Matt, who sends it soaring into the back of the net. The arena full of Canucks fans fall silent, except for the screaming and hollering coming from the Avalanche bench. The team full of white and burgundy jerseys soon pile onto the ice, jumping on top of the game seven hero.