Chapter Nine - Part One

Meghan's POV

"Babe, could you calm down?" I whisper, softly rubbing Gabe's arm.

"I can't," he replies, his voice shaking. "I'm too nervous. Everything is on the line, Megs."

When he says everything is on the line, he means the season. Tonight the Avalanche and Hurricanes play in a game seven showdown. Each team has won every game on their home ice, and now the series has shifted back to Denver.

The Avalanche won the first game 2-1, then the next 4-3. Then the series and momentum shifted to Carolina, them winning game three 3-1 and game four 3-2. The plane ride back to Denver was a silent one. All the words that were said happened in the locker room. Words of frustration and defeat. There was nothing that could have boosted the teams' spirits after those two games. They felt worthless.

Gabe wouldn't say one word to me on the plane ride back to Denver. He was lost in his own world as he had his headphones in his ear drums, hoping to wash away some of the troubles with some music. I don't believe that it worked, honestly. He was in his own world until the Avs fought back in game five, winning 5-2 and scoring three goals in the third period. After that, the team had a confidence boost, but it was shot down one again when we flew back to Raleigh for game six, losing 2-0.

Tonight is do or die. Whoever wins tonight wins the Stanley Cup, the most glorified trophy in sports history. Every team wants to hoist the magnificent lord Stanley, but one team has the honor to do so. And I hope and pray that it will be the Colorado Avalanche.

"Listen to me, Gabe." I say as I rest my hands on his shoulders, looking into his bright blue eyes. "I know your nerves are going through the roof right now. Everyone who will be in this building tonight is going to be a nervous wreck. But I have so much faith in you, Gabe. I have a very, very good feeling that you will be hoisting the cup by the time the night ends."

"But what if I don't?" he whispers, looking away from me.

"Stop it," I say sternly as I gently push his head back so I can look at him. "You have to be one hundred percent confident in yourself and your team. I know you can do it. You've came through in so many games. Why not come through in this one, too? You can do anything you put your mind, your heart, and your soul to. You are capable of anything. You are capable of lifting the cup over your head. Even if you don't have faith in yourself right now, just promise me one thing."

"Of course, babe. What is it?" he looks into my eyes.

"That you'll play as hard as you possibly can. Don't give up. Play with integrity." I whisper, resting my hand on his cheek and gently stroking his beard with my thumb.

"Only if you promise me one thing," he whispers, pressing his forehead against mine. "When that buzzer sounds, I want you on the ice when they roll out the red carpet."

"And why is that?" I whisper, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Because I want to show the world that I have the most beautiful woman in the world, and the Stanley Cup," he whispers, soon crashing his lips on top of mine.

"I suppose I can do that for you." I giggle in between kisses. "Win it for me."

"I will do everything I can to win for you, sweetheart." Gabe smiles, slowly pulling away and kissing me on the forehead.

I wave to him before he enters the locker room, slowly making my way through the tunnel. As I walk by the Hurricanes locker room, I see some of the players out in the tunnel already stretching and getting pumped up for the game. I try not to make eye contact with them, considering they are technically the enemy tonight, and I am wearing their enemies jersey. I keep my eyes to the floor as I walk in between the few. I can feel their eyes burning through me as I start to walk by. Then I feel something tug at the back of my jersey, causing me to turn around and face one of the players.