Chapter Twelve

"Meghan, are you sure you're okay in there?" Ashley asks on the other side of the bathroom door. 

I had woken up to morning sickness on the day of my wedding, and I couldn't stop throwing up. My party last night was fun, but I was still nauseated the entire time. The girls offered me several drinks, but I turned each one down. If I was pregnant, I didn't want to press any glass to my lips that had a hint of alcohol in it. So I stuck to the trusty sidekick ginger ale the entire night.

I still am not sure if I am pregnant or not. If I am, I'm trying to think of the perfect way to surprise Gabe. Maybe I can sneak off to the store before I get to the church for the wedding. Or maybe ask someone to buy one for me. But that would let the cat out of the bag, wouldn't it? 

"It's just nerves." I lie, hovering over the toilet. "I'm okay."

"Alright," she says unsure. 

After several minutes, I finally emerge from the bathroom. All the girls stare at me as I look like I am a mess. My hair is all over the place, my eyes are puffy, and my skin is as white as snow. Some of the girls run up to me and ask me if I'm feeling alright. I nod my head, hiding the fact that I am possibly pregnant. I see Juliana out of the corner of my eye. I grab her arm and I lead her into the bathroom. 

"What are you doing?" she whispers as I close the door.

"Jules, I think I might be pregnant." I whisper frantically. 

"I had a feeling you were," she smiles and hugs me. 

"I need to buy a test. Could you get one for me?" I whisper, slowly pulling away from the hug.

"Of course! I'll go right now." Jules smiles and we walk out of the bathroom. "You get ready, and I'll go buy it."

"You're a lifesaver." I hug her before she walks out the door. 

I quickly run back into the bathroom and I take a nice, long shower. I get lost in my own little world as I hum the lyrics to the song Gabe and I will be dancing to. It felt weird not waking up next to him this morning, and it feels different not having him hug me from behind as I shampoo my hair. He always does that, and it makes me feel all bubbly inside.

God, I sure missed him. I haven't even been apart from him for over twelve hours, and I still feel like a piece of me is missing. I couldn't wait to see those sparkly blue eyes stare through mine, and I couldn't wait to taste his kiss. 

My body was longing for his touch, and I don't know how much longer I could keep all of my sexual frustration held up inside me. God, Meghan. It's only been 24 hours since you both had sex. Calm down. 

The problem was Gabe and I had made love every day since we had eloped, and it felt like our routine was thrown out of motion this morning with us being apart.  I guess that's what happens when you don't have sex for three and a half years. We've been animals. 

I turn off the water and I pull the shower curtain back, being welcomed by a steam-filled room. I wrap a soft blue towel around my wet body, and I step out of the tub and I press my feet against the softness of the cream colored bathroom rug. I wiggle my toes as I look down at them, seeing the toenails sparkle after the girls helped me with my nails last night.  I chuckle to myself, thinking back on everything that has happened in the last few years. My life has changed so much, but for the better.

I look back on that cold winters night when I met him, Gabriel Landeskog. The way he made his way through the crowd at the  Mile High Dreams Gala, just to introduce himself to me. Him, a star rookie at the time, noticing a girl like me; an average, wide-eyed college student who was stressed out of her mind. I still find it hard to believe that I ever caught his eye, and I'm still not sure how exactly I did that. All I know is when I looked to my right, I saw those blue eyes staring through mine. Then he walked in slow motion towards me.