04 | RSVP ASAP

"This is what you get
When you mess with us."

"We're like, so totally jealous!" Adia giggled, bumping her shoulder lightly against mine. I pursed my lips, forcing a smile at the two girls and nodded.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool," I commented, my smile widening until my cheeks started to ache.

"I can't believe your parents would book the entire Disneyland just for your eighteenth birthday, Marissa! I thought they didn't really care much," Bianca gushed, her eyes twinkling mischievously. I didn't miss the subtle jab. I blinked, my smile refusing to falter. The only indication of my irritation was the slight curling of my fists.

This year, Bianca's parents rented an island in the Bahamas for the entire school for a whole weekend. She was obviously slightly mad that my birthday celebration had the potential of topping hers. She always liked to be the best, so it was hardly a surprise.

"I know, right?" Adia agreed, eyes wide with awe. The group of wannabes tailing behind us hummed in agreement. As I predicted, Bianca had gotten rid of the group of girls that sat with us last week, but quickly replaced them with fresh, new faces. They must be freshmen, because I haven't seen them anywhere around before.

"You're going to invite the entire school, right? You have to!" Adia continued to say, gripping my arm in genuine and unadulterated excitement. The only difference between Bianca and Adia other than the colour of their skin, was that while Adia was evil, Bianca was selfish and evil.

To Adia, it was who she associated with. As long as her friend was popular, she was contented. Famous by association, she would sometimes say. To Bianca, she always had to be the best, even among her friends. That's how she stays at the top. She'd take down even her friends to ensure her place as the most popular girl in school.

"Yeah, the whole school is invited. But I need someone to send the invites," I sighed loudly, eyeing the group of girls trailing behind us like lost puppies. Immediately after I said that, several girls volunteered to help me.

"I can do it!"

"No, I can do it!"

"I volunteer!"

I glanced at them, a sickly sweet smile painted onto my face.

"All of you can do it," I sympathised, titling my head to one side. "After all, if all of you worked together, it'll be done much faster. Don't you agree?"

"Yeah!"

"Of course!"

"Fantastic. Inform me of the students that will attending once you're done, will you? Only the important ones, of course," I said, shooting them another smile. It was as if I placed a spell under them, as they all nodded in sync before immediately grabbing their mobile phones out of their pockets and typed furiously at their individual screens. All of them had a certain determination that rested on their faces, a competitive glint in every one of their eyes.

A slow smile spread across my face, and I nodded in satisfaction.

"They come in handy sometimes," I said, smirking slightly. Bianca giggled, her eyes glinting with mischief.

"Of course. Why else would I keep them around?" she cackled, her voice rising a tone in glee as she flipped her blonde curls.