20 | Joy

"We do it our own way,
No matter what they try to say about it.
We've got our own plans, yeah.
They don't need to understand."

"Mari!"

I froze mid-step when I heard the familiar nickname, swivelling around to come face to face with my ex-boyfriend.

"Cody," I stated, attempting to smile but ended up cringing. "Hey."

"Is this a good time?" he asked, drawing his eyes towards the silent Japanese boy beside me.

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked awkwardly, scooting closer to Yuko. We were just done with morning classes and were headed to the canteen.

"About my parents' anniversary ball," he started, pausing again. He glanced at Yuko and back at his feet. "Are you still going to go with me?"

I knew there was something I was forgetting! I groaned internally.

Memories of Cody asking me to be his date for his parents' anniversary ball flooded my mind and all I could do was offer him a sheepish smile.

"When is it?" I asked, scratching the back of my hand.

"Well, it's this coming Friday. But if you don't want to...," he trailed off, giving me a pained smile. "You can call it off."

Blinking, I nodded slowly. Cody shut his eyes, his lips pulling into a tight smile.

"Alright, I'll just...get going now," he murmured with a forced smile, before turning around and leaving. I watched silently as his slouched back disappeared from sight, the heavy feeling in my chest never ceasing.

"Why do I...feel so horrible?" I asked to no one in particular, inhaling and exhaling slowly in attempt to ease the ache in my heart.

"Because you know you hurt his feelings," Yuko murmured beside me. Grabbing my shoulder and spinning me around to face him, he bent forwards such that his face was level with mine.

"It's okay to feel bad, Ris," he said softly. "But it's also okay not to do something you don't want to do."

"What do you mean?" I breathed, searching his eyes for meaning.

"Don't feel obligated to help someone or do something for someone because they're your friend or family member," Yuko said quietly. "In the end, your happiness matters the most. You should always place your well-being first."

"Doesn't that make me selfish?" I cringed.

"Maybe, maybe not. There's a thin line between being an idiot and being selfless," he said, smiling a little.

"I'm not an idiot," I muttered, pouting slightly. To my absolute surprise, Yuko laughed and pecked me quickly on the lips before drawing away. Grabbing my hand, he began dragging me to the canteen.

-

When I got the call from the hospital, my first instinct was to think that something bad has happened to Mason. It was almost as if it was a reflex now to expect the worst when it came to my brother's wellbeing.

The last thing I thought I would hear the doctor say was, "Miss Lee, Mason's awake."

Either way, the only way I could react was to cry. Let me get this straight, I wasn't an emotional girl. I usually kept my emotions to myself instead of broadcasting it to the world to see. I hated being vulnerable and weak, especially in front of people. But this time, I didn't hold back.

"What's wrong?" I heard Yuko say, eyes filled with concern. Immediately, he grabbed me and held me close to his chest, shielding my tears from prying eyes of students in the canteen.