06 | Birthday

"I've become so numb,
I can't feel you there.
Become so tired,
So much more aware.
I'm becoming this,
All I want to do.
Is be more like me,
And be less like you."

Sooner rather than later, Saturday arrived. I can explain why I wasn't the least bit excited about turning eighteen: simply because Mason won't be celebrating it with me.

It was wishful thinking on my part, for believing and hoping that he'd wake up before his birthday. It dampened my already suffocating spirit, but I payed no heed to it.

After all, I was used to it.

Even when Mason was awake and well, we would celebrate together by having breakfast and then we'd go our separate ways. Instead of Meilleur, he attended an equally prestigious private school, The Private Boys Academy of Northern France.

Not many people knew of his existence, mainly because I would blatantly refuse to speak of him. He was after all, quite the infamous troublemaker. Mason was involved in a lot of pranks and fights and well, pranks. Even though he was from a completely different school, Meilleureans still knew of him like how the Private Boys know of the Royals.

I, on the other hand, was the goody-two-shoes of the family. Well, sort of. I had a clean record. That's about it, but if you asked me, that's a pretty great accomplishment compared to Mase's.

The only thing we had in common was our popularity. And even so, we differed greatly from that as while Mason was popular for being the well-liked prankster, I was popular for being a grade A bitch.

The first thing I did after waking up was to head to the hospital to visit Mason. After all, I had a couple of hours to spare before the theme park even opened. I never was much of a sleeper.

"Miss Lee, is that you? Sweetie, what are you doing here at this hour?" A portly, friendly nurse exclaimed when I walked into Mason's ward.

"It's his birthday today," I murmured, not bothering to cast a second glance at the woman. I made a bee-line towards the bed, sitting daintily on the edge. The room was consumed by grey darkness, dimly lit by the bedside lamp that emitted an orange glow. Although the curtains were open, the sunlight was a no-show. I guess I really was here early, since the sun hasn't risen yet.

"Oh! Well it's your birthday too, isn't it? Twins, aren't you?" she asked. I nodded faintly, and she wished me a happy birthday before exiting the room in a hurry.

The nurse probably got the hint that I wanted to be alone.

For a few minutes, I simply sat on the edge of the bed and held his hand. I swung my legs back and forth, the tips of my shoes scrapping gently against the linoleum.

I debated on what I wanted to say to Mason. I found it quite foolish, since he was in comatose, but the doctor once told me that Mason might still be able to hear voices.

I came up with nothing. There weren't many things to say to him, since I shared about my life to him on a weekly basis. I had run out of things to say, so I settled on the most simple greeting.

"Happy birthday," I said softly, trying my best to sound more cheery than depressing. I don't think it worked.

It hardly does.

-

"That is so cute!" Bianca gushed, enviously eyeing the chiffon blouse I wore. It was a lightweight, creamy purple blouse with off-shoulder straps that fell just over my shoulder. I had to admit, it was one of the nicest items of clothing I had purchased so far from the newest Marc Jacobs Spring Collection. I paired the blouse with plain distressed jean shorts and my simple beige Chanel ballerina flats.