27 | When Feelings Collide

"You were the song stuck in my head,
Every song that I've ever loved."

It had to have been about one in the afternoon when the doorbell rang. I was alone in the apartment, because Mason had an appointment with his physiotherapist. I spent most of the morning baking cookies, trying to do something to distract me from the quiet.

With a slight frown, I wiped my hands on my apron and walked towards the front door. No one told me they were coming over, but my heart beat with anticipation at the thought that Yuko might've dropped by.

True enough, Yuko stood outside the door, hands tucked into his pocket and a book wedged in between his side and his arm.

"Hey, Ris," Yuko greeted, his voice floaty and slightly worn out.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, frowning slightly. I opened the door wider and beckoned for him to come in. "You said you had project work to do."

"I know," Yuko mumbled. "But I realised I'd rather spend my afternoon with you."

At this, my expression softened and my lips fell into a gentle smile. Getting on my tippy-toes, I planted a quick kiss on his soft lips. With his eyes closed and his lips curving into a smile, he sighed.

"I needed that," he said quietly, reached up to stroke the side of my head. "It's been tough, hasn't it?"

Nodding my head with sympathy, I grabbed his hand and dragged him to the dining table where an assortment of cookies lay splayed across the hard wooden surface.

"You've been keeping yourself busy," Yuko commented with amusement, his lips quirking into a small smile. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed a warm macadamia chocolate chip cookie that I had just taken out of the oven and offered it to him.

He took a bite, savouring the flavour with a smile. While he was still chewing, he stared at me and cocked his head to one side.

"So I was wondering," he began, before taking another bite of the cookie. I waited, rather impatiently, for him to swallow the cookie and speak again.

"About?" I pressed, when he finally swallowed. He stared at me for a moment longer, with so much intensity and emotion that I was scared for a moment. Could it be...?

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Yuko asked softly, his eyes widening a fraction, as if he too was surprised by his own words.

"G-Girlfriend?" I squeaked, a blush beginning to form on my pale cheeks.

Yuko nodded shyly, and opened his mouth to mutter, "I know it's not the greatest time, but we've been dating for awhile and I...I'm sure now."

He didn't need to explain further. My mind reeled and went back to the conversation we had forever ago, about him trying to move on from his first love, Siobhan. He was sure now, he said. He was sure!

Snapping out of my daze, my lips turned up into a goofy smile and I nodded my head quickly.

"Yes!" I giggled, and with a smile, Yuko grabbed me and pulled me into a tight embrace.

Kissing his cheek, I snuggled my head into his chest and mumbled 'Yes' again.

"Marissa Lee is my girlfriend," Yuko murmured thoughtfully, stroking my hair with a gentle hand. I couldn't help but grin at his words, my skin tingly from where he last touched and my heart still trying to calm down from skipping too many beats.