07 | Ferris Wheel

"So take my hand,
Don't be scared.
We can go anywhere,
You don't have to run,
You don't have to hide.
Cause' I got you,
Safe in my hands,
Safe in my hands."

We spent the next hour tucked away at the back of the coffee shop, my hands wrapped around a warm porcelain mug while his was glued to his book. Wuthering Heights, the title read. My heart clenched tightly when I remembered that it was Alex's favourite book.

I glanced at Yuko, studying him and trying to squeeze out some kind of clarification, or revelation. Or what? Emotion?

I snorted quietly to myself, shaking my head.

Don't think about it, Marissa. Don't get curious.

Yuko's mouth pursed slightly as he turned a page. My mind wandered without warning, and I began to wonder if Alex even remembered it was my birthday.

It was only one in the afternoon now, she'd call soon right? Or text? She had to. It was my birthday, after all.

I glanced at Yuko again, does Alex contact him still? Or is she dead silent too?

"A picture would last a lot longer," Yuko muttered, his eyes never straying from his book. Immediately, I looked away, a faint blush tainting my cheeks pink.

Shaking my head slightly, I stared out of the big glass window at the front of the cafe, watching elated students pass by. Most of them wore large grins on their faces.

Faint chattering and occasional barks of excited laughter filled my ears, and my face pulled into a frown. I didn't bother to look at Yuko when I heard him clear his throat beside me.

"Are you sure you don't want to have a go on the rides?" he asked, and my response was almost immediate. With a grimace, I nodded.

"I'm sure."

"It's your birthday," he murmured bluntly, casting me a curious glance. This time, I swivelled my head towards him, a look of amusement taking over my features.

"Really now? It's my birthday?" I retorted sarcastically, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Chill out, grumpy pants."

I blinked once, staring at him in bewilderment before bursting out in laughter.

"Ch-chill out! Grumpy! Pants!" I choked out between my laughter. Yuko narrowed his eyes, a ghost of a smile gracing his lips.

"Shut up, Ris," he grumbled, but stopped short. My laughter faded, and I blinked at him in surprise. He hasn't called me Ris in awhile. I tried not to think too much about it.

My heart leapt, and my cheeks warmed at his mentioned of my old nickname. He pursed his lips, and seemed to be contemplating something.

"Let's go," he murmured, swiftly grabbing my wrist and pulling me up from my seat.

"Hey!" I protested, disliking the tingles that shot up my arm.

"It's your birthday," he stated again, more sternly this time. "Let's have fun outside."

"I'd rather not," I grunted, digging my heels against the carpet. I was not leaving this café to go on any of those death rides!

-

"I really hate you right now," I growled under my breath, my face pulled into an ugly scowl. Students around us were pointing and staring in shock, whispering loudly amongst themselves.