16 | Hesitation

"Do you think of her,
When you're with me?
Repeat the memories you made together,
Who's face do you see?"

I ran. Well, speed-walked down the hospital hallway, narrowly avoiding patients and nurses lingering around.

The phone is my hand felt like it was a hundred tonne iron ball, and for a second I hesitated.

Should I call her?

The hesitation quickly faded away though, after I reminded myself that this wasn't fair to Alex at all. With even more determination, I scrolled through my contacts and paused at her name.

Just as I was about to hit 'Call', my phone was suddenly seized from me.

"Hey!" I protested, turning around. Behind me, Yuko stood panting with my phone in one hand.

"Hand that back to me," I demanded.

"I can't-," he huffed, out of breath from the chase. "-let you do that."

"Why the hell not?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes at him. I crossed my arms, glaring at him harshly. He winced, before pocketing my phone into his jeans.

He shook his head, eyes glinting with guilt, "Don't you understand, Ris? This is not your decision to make. It's Robin's."

"Don't call me that," I snapped, my frown deepening. He winced again, but I continued before he could reply.

"You're her best friend, Yuko. How could you?"

Yuko's eyes flashed with sadness, and he looked down at his feet.

"It's not my decision to make," he said quietly. "Do you know how much it kills me inside to keep this from her? Of course I know it's wrong, but Robin's my best friend too. I have to respect him."

At this point, I realised just exactly how desperate and stuck he was. He was impossibly close to both Alex and Robin, and it must be so hard to make a decision. If I were in his position...No! Don't let him get to you. Telling Alex is the right thing to do.

"You have to, but I don't," I retorted. "Now hand me back my phone."

"I can't," he replied, eyes wide with desperation. "Please, Ri-Marissa."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "I can easily buy a new phone to call her on. You taking my phone hostage won't hold me back for long."

"Please don't do it," he pleaded, reaching out to grab my hand. Stubbornly, I yanked my arm away from reach.

"Don't touch me," I hissed. "Don't you dare."

"I'm sorry, Marissa. You misunderstood me before," he said softly. "I didn't mean it like that."

I scoffed, "Is this a way to stop me from calling Alex?"

"No!" he practically yelled, "No, it's not. Marissa, this is between you and me. Forget about the phone call now."

"There is nothing between us," I said, glaring at him. "I'm not letting you distract me from calling her."