Chapter 9: Socially awkward and not proud.

Hannah.

What am I doing? It took me forever to find this place and he probably forgot about me coming over. Why would I still come after all this time?

I took a sigh and plopped back in my uncomfortable car seat, staring at the dark, plain ceiling and trying to get my feelings under control. I can't be afraid, I was invited over, I want to be over, I want friends.. Right?

I almost peed myself, yelping at the sound of another car door slamming behind me abruptly. I smacked my hand over my mouth and stilled, not knowing exactly why I was stilling. I looked in my review mirror, seeing a petite figure walking up the drive. Who the hell-? I stopped myself when the person got closer to the porch light, his features appearing a little less shady. Alan?

He walked right past me, not even glancing at my car, and let himself in the house. Austin's house.. I gulped, my mind racing now because there was no turning back, my car was trapped in, and Alan knew another car was here, therefore, Austin AND Alan would be talking about it and expecting another person. Fuck fuck fuck fuck!

I was chewing my lip off basically, starting to get anxious from all my thoughts, trying to find a plan B, since I'd talked myself out of going in and hanging out. Then, the front door opened and another taller, skinnier figure came out with their hands on their hips, staring out into the dark.

I gasped and slammed my head down into the steering wheel, ouching and cursing at myself silently for it. My breathing turned to ragged hyperventilating and my head started pulsing from hitting it. I heard footsteps coming down off the porch, but I refused to look back up to see. So, I started unbuckling ad reaching under the passenger seat, pretending to look for something.

"Hannah?" A muffled voice rapped on my window with his knuckle, and I even jumped at that noise! I knew something was coming! Man I suck..

"Oh, hey!" I sat up again and popped open my door, letting Austin open it all the way, a lopsided grin on his face.

"How long have you been out here? Alan came in and asked who else was over, but I didn't even know you got here." He leaned against the opening on my car, ducking his head inside over me.

At this point I was so grateful it was dark and he couldn't see my embarrassed color on my face. "Alan's here? I didn't even hear him, weird, I got here a few minutes ago, but I was looking for my wallet. Just, making sure I had everything." I lied my way through this horrible situation, but that's okay, he didn't notice. I smiled, my bottom lip trembling.

"Well come on in then." He held out his hand for me, and, because just the thought of holding his hand, even for a minute just to get out of the car, freaked me out. Get a grip Hannah, Jesus Christ!

"Thanks, but I got it." I tried taking steady, deep breaths as I shakily got out with my clumsy Jello legs. I used the frame of my car to ease myself up between the small space of Austin's body and the car. I uncomfortably smiled and he eased away from me so I could move too and close my door. I slammed in, quite ungracefully, and locked the doors behind me.

"My dad's home, so I hope you're OK with being the only girl in the midst of testosteroine." He led me to the front door and graceously opened it for me, making me blush even though I knew he was just being polite.

"I think I can manage. Girl's are pains in the asses anyways." I semi-joked, walking through the door and into the warm house.

It was brightly filled with pictures of family and Nic Nacs all around. I smiled at how different it was than I actually imagined. I smelt food coming from somewhere deeper in the house, in the kitchen I assumed, and I heard the hum of a radio in the background as well.

"We're back here." I snapped from my curiosity and followed him down the hall, through more house, and took a left into a pale, white walled room, that had no windows and the only form of decoration in it was the flat screen hung on the wall. Crash Bandicoot was paused on the big screen and there were different sized chairs and two bean bagged ones in a jumble around the TV. Alan was scrunched up in one of them, the back of his ginger hair messy from over ruffling. He had a controller in his lap and was texting on his phone while he waited, for who I assumed, was Austin.

Austin plopped in a chair next to him and pointed at the other bean bag. "Here, sit, I promise they're super comfy."

"I bet, I'm more so worried that I won't be able to get out of it once I sink into it." I smirked half heartily and came around, slowly easing my way down into the squishy seat. My butt sank in and Austin and Alan both laughed at my reaction to getting comfortable in the chair.

"Nice technique." Alan commented sarcastically, at the same height as me.

"Butt face." I muttered, leaning back and looking up at the screen. "So what are we uh, playing?"

"We're doing a competition on who lives the longest. So far, I'm winning." He proudly claimed, jutting out his chin and smirking cockily.

"You in?" Alan leaned over, getting my attention by smacking my arm with the back of his hand lightly. Don't touch my fat! Do you WANT to die? I clamped my hand over my arm and yanked it closer to my side, hoping he wouldn't do it again.

"S- sure." I sucked on my cheeks as I took the controller from him and studied the keys for a minute. When it was memorized, I looked up at the TV and when the game was starting up, I felt eyes on me and looked between the two of them. "What?" I was starting to get shy again.

"Nothing." Austin shook him head at me, smiling lightly and turning in his seat to the TV too. He unlicked the pause button after telling me it was his turn, and so I had time to think about why they were staring at me. Did I say something? Did I do something weird or wrong? Oh God, this'll be the last time I'm invited anywhere. I fucked it all up.

-------- AFTER PLAYING A FEW GAMES. --------

Austin, Alan, and I had been passing the controllers around and playing the game for awhile now, Austin still in the lead for winning the least amount of deaths, and Alan shooting in second. Oh well, I didn't mind being a looser in this case.

Still, what were they staring at me for?

Alan yawned and paused the game in the middle of his sudden death, and tossed the controller in my lap. "I gotta head out, Abby keeps texting me."

"Who's Abby?"

"My girlfriend."

I nodded in understanding and pulled out my own phone. Was it really that late? The time read 12:00am and I was shocked. We'd been playing games THAT long here??

I stuffed my phone into my bra and tried to get up when Alan was, thinking I should probably call it a night too. This wasn't so bad, right? I took a big heave to get up out of the chair and followed behind the line of Alan and Austin to the front door. We followed out to his car and I noticed the smell from the kitchen had faded away and it was silent in the house.

"Bye Carl!" Alan called out, sweeping himself into the front seat and starting his car. They goffily waved to each other, made some weird face with a fake gang symbol, and after laughing at themselves and each other, he pulled out and drove off down the road.

I walked off to my car silently, unlocking the driver's door and popping it open when a man's whining erputed behind me. "Awe don't tell me you're leaving too?!" Austin whined behind me, throwing out his hands like a child.

"N- no I'm, well.. Maybe, I just figured I needed to since Alan was and since it's already 12:00am." I shrugged in a stutter of words and my knees buckled, sending me to the ground, my palms smacking asphalt.