Chapter 39: Lynn Grimes

((NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE A ONE SPECIAL CHAPTER FROM GRANDMA'S POINT OF VIEW. GET READY!))

Lynn.

As soon as the soft thuds of Hannah's feet on the carpet left my room and had stopped, along with her sister, at the top of the stairs, I sighed and dropped my book.

Why'd she have to go and do that? Why did she have to let the mention of those stupid, teenage boys give her excitement?

I groaned to myself and took off my glasses, rubbing the stress from my eyes.

"I swear those boys are going to do more harm than good." I grumbled to myself as I looked my reflection head on in the mirror across from the bed. I ran tired hands through my hair, sloppily wrapping it in a clip at the back of my head tiredly.

All I want is what'll make her happy.. I want Hannah to be happy again. I groaned as I thought back to the conversation I'd had with Austin and the guys when they'd called her earlier.

*FLASHBACK!*

I can save you.. If you ask me, just ask me to! Her ringtone had caught me off guard as I drove to the grocery store while she was in therapy, hopefully getting everything out of her system, coming back to the real world. I slammed on my break at the first red light I got caught at, and reached around the floor of the passeneger seat, with lots of grunting and cursing, till my stubby hand clasped around her phone.

I sat up, rebuckled, and silenced the ringer, not even looking at who was calling.. Until..

Again.

Again..

And again... So finally I looked down at her phone, pulling into the store parking lot, and saw a phone number, faces of boys kissing each other on the cheeks, and the same ringer as before, just as loud. I bit my lip, thinking about answering it or not. Against the small knawing at the back of my head, I answered the phone on the fourth ring.

"Hello?" I asked, hearing nothing but a crackiling in the earpiece.

"Hannah?" A deep voiced man-boy howled into the phone, making me cringe.

"Um, n- no it's Lynn, Hannah's grandma. Hi." I found myself whispering as I walked through the cold doors of the store, straight to the carts and off to the veggie section. "And who is this?"

There was a long pause, some shuffling, and I could hear whispers in the background that I tried to understand but couldn't. "Did I hear you right? Lynn? D- do I have the wrong number?" He was yelling in my ear and I was walking around the store, throwing things in the cart with a digruntled expression.

"Uh, no, I actually have Hannah's phone. She's.. Busy right now." I half lied, biting my lip as I made my way finally to the front. "Who is this?"

"It's Austin." He yelled, and I rolled my eyes on the other line. "Do you know when she'll be done doing what ever she's immersed herself in?" The smile was apparent in his voice.

"Um no I'm not sure, you know how Hannah is sometimes tho.." I was fast approaching my turn in line. "Ill tell her you called though."

The group of boys heard my response and groaned in a plead. "Aw! Come on!"

I groaned aloud and told them to hold. I muted them and checked out as quickly as I could from the store. Walking to the car, i could hear them all moving and talking back and forth. As I listened while I loaded the car, a thought jumped my bones, and so only when I was safely in my car did I i un-mute them.

"Truth be told boys, Hannah isn't busy.. She just, well, wasn't feeling up to talking to anyone yet." I changed my voice to as melancholy as I could as I sat in the parking lot. If I could get rid of them, for good, Hannah might get better, stay home, and finish school.

Silence overcame the conversation. "I wasn't suppose to tell you... She wanted me to come up with an excuse so you wouldn't worry about her. She promises she'll call when she's ready though." I lied, thinking of how to work on Hannah's end when I get home.

A new voice came on the phone, emotionless. "So she's that bad?"

"She seems better, actually.. Kind of."

"Since she came home?"

"I guess that could've done it.. She still doesn't talk much but I think she's getting there." I started the car and sighed. "Now boys, I gotta go. Ill tell her you wanted to talk to her, make sure she's okay, and tell her she should call. Ill try and warm her up to it, alright?"

A long pause before a third voice answered back. "Um, yeah.. Yeah let her know we were thinking about her and miss her and.. Yeah all that stuff."

"Sure." And after a mumbled exchange of goodbyes, we hung up and I finally uncoiled all my tensions, tossing the phone in the passenger seat and driving back to the house, then to grab Hannah.

*END OF FLASHBACK!*

The sound of a knock at my door made me jump, and my book fall to the floor with a thud. "Come in!" I choked, my nerves getting the best of me as I thought of Hannah finding out in a few short hours, minutes? What time was it now anyways? And racing back downstairs, yelling at me, leaving, running back to... Them.

Jeanette pushed the door, taking a step in and standing awkwardly at the edge of the room. "Are you okay Grandma?"

I cracked a soft grin and offered he a spot next to me in bed to lay. "Yea, I'm fine. Why?"

She crawled over and tucked herself in Grandpa's old spot in bed, staring over at me and I picked up my book and put my things up to tuck myself in too.

"You and Hannah are both acting weird.."

"How?" I scoffed, playing off my charade. If I AM acting different, I need to get a grip, now. I rolled over, turned off the bedside lamp, and pulled the covers up to my chin as I looked at the outline of Jeanette's shape next to me.

"I don't know, Hannah's sad, you know.. From whatever happened to her, and now i think she's sad AND angry because she didn't get to talk to her boy friends today, and you were real quiet today too." She mumbled and I though she'd fallen asleep until she rolled over and spoke again. "Are you sad too..?"

Then it was my turn to be quiet. Was I? That seemed to be the unanswered question with myself, and I still didn't have even an inkling.

"Grandma?"

I flicked from my zoned out space in the dark and moved to assure her i was paying attention. "I'm just worried, not sad. But it's my job to be sad, so therefore I'm normal, and you should be happy."

"Promise?"

"Promise I'm normal?" I chuckled. "As normal as a Grimes can be, sure. I promise Jeanette."

My promise seemed to be enough for her, for yet breathing regulated and her calming presence rested onto me, and dragged me down with her, feeling better about what I'd done.

My heart is in the right place.. I feel it.

((DA DUN DUUUMMM...! Haha so, what does everything think? Enjoying it so far?:D lemme kno! OH! And SPECIAL thanks to everyone that votes and continues to follow me & my other fanfiction, Kiss Me Again.!))