Chapter 48: Grandpas Here

Hannah.

"Hey Girls." Grandpa smiled and stood from the table, coming around slowly to get a good look at us. He had his arms opened wide and on instinct Jeanette and I practically tackled over one another to get to him first.

He was freshly shaved, his original scruffy biker beard cleanly trimmed down, showing an even gradient of grey on his face. His dark eyes held life and warmth in them, something I know I hadn't seen in a long time while he was living with all of us. He appeared happier, his posture held him higher, and I could sense a considerable amount of weight he'd lost while being away. He looked good, like my Grandpa, but a happier version, one I really liked looking at, and hugging.

I smiled into the crook of his shoulder, and I could feel him fighting to release Jeanette and I under our pressure on him. He stepped back and looked at the two of us, and it was like time had frozen for a moment, letting the dust settle and giving us time to look at each other again.

"Hi." Jeanette whispered, and went around the table, taking a seat next to him and watching him watch me. I had all these feelings towards Grandpa, but right now, being around family, who was actually finaly HAPPY, that's what was important right now. I hoped Grandpa's happiness would rub off on me and I could remember that feeling again.

"Hannah." He nodded and I smiled, following him to the table where I sat across from him and couldn't help but keep staring.

We sat in silence for awhile after that, each of us picking ar our food and looking at each other like we were all meeting for the first time. I just kept wondering why he was here, after all this time. Why would Grandma even let him in the house? I looked over and Jeanette was staring at me too, the same wondering expression I was sharing with the table.

------------------ 30 MINUTES LATER. --------------------

"Who's ready for something sweet?" Grandma asked as Grandpa was finishing up and I was picking the small amounts of crumbs left on my plate.

Jeanette jumped, clanking her fork on her empty plate and smiling. "ME!" Grandpa and Grandma cracked smiles and Grandma stood, walking around the table and taking everyone's plates.

"Want to come with me to get it?" She asked Jeanette as she was picking up her last plate. I knew that meant she was trying to leave Grandpa and I alone so he could get to the part why he was really here. And of course, Jeanette didn't understand, and so she just nodded in anticipation for her sweet tooth craving, and followed obediently to the kitchen.

I leaned back in the wooden chair and folded my hands on the table top, trying to look around the boring room till they came back. What ever this conversation was suppose to be, I was not excited to have it. But then, the horendus, horror movie cringing, clearing of the throat happend. Great.

"So, how's school going?" He leaned up on the table and smiled at me. I could read his features and know that's not what he actually wanted to talk about. I sighed, and thought about playing off like I haven't needed to be forcefully medicated in order to make it through the rest of the year.

"Sucks, school is school though." I shrugged and looked down at my hands, bored with the walls in the room. "I hate having to take the medication though.." Nope, guess my mouth has a mind of it's own. Scratch the first idea.

All he did was nod though, and continue to stare at me with a new expression. "It's not because I left is it?" His voice lowered and his question popped my eyes up to his face.