CHAPTER 10

Image of Zach at top.

I stayed up for most of the night, twisting and turning in my bed. I knew that this was my last night here so I wanted to spend as much time absorbing the smallest detail of my life that I had taken for granted. When I saw that I couldn't sleep , I got up and began packing my stuff.

While packing, I saw a framed photograph peeking out of my closet. I got up and went to see if it was worth taking it with me. When I saw the photograph,tears began streaking down my face. It was a picture of my entire family ; my mom, my dad, my brother and my sister and I .

I don't know how long I knelt there crying. But after a while , Mandy came to see what was wrong. When she saw my fingers clutching the photograph, she understood and began rubbing my back in an attempt to comfort me.

"Don't cry, "she cooed softly.

" I can't help myself. I already lost everyone else, I can't bear to lose you too", I cried into her shoulder.

"You won't", she replied confidently.

We knelt there until I finally fell asleep.

**************

The next morning I woke up beside my sister in her bed. I got up slowly because I didn't want to wake her up. I tiptoed out of her room and went downstairs. I was on my way to the kitchen when I heard groans coming from the living room. I went into the living room tp investigate the groans. In the living room was Zach , sleeping on the couch with a half filled bottle of whiskey beside him.. He looked absolutely terrible. His dark brown hair was matted with sweat to his forehead and drool dripped from his mouth.

I walked cautiously over to him and shook his hand. He immediately opened up blood shot eyes to see who it was.

"Go up to your mate. She needs you", I said to him .

He didn't need to be told twice. He scurried up the stairs into their bedroom.

I resumed my journey to the kitchen and took out a slice of cold sagging pizza.

I looked on my watch. I had eight more hours left on this territory but for some odd reason I didn't want to stay. Instead , I was eager to start a new adventure on my own. I went back up the stairs and collected my bag. As I stepped out of the house, I glanced back. Good bye, I thought.