Chapter 4 (Stiles)

"Was she a wolf?"

"I'm not sure."

"Coyote?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"Jaguar? Cheetah? Kitsune? Banshee? Windego?"

"Stiles! I don't know!" I sat down on the small chair in the corner of our dorm room. Scott turned his attention back to his biology book. 

"Shouldn't you be doing your homework?" I let out a long, exaggerated sigh. 

"Fine." I picked up my history book. I was reading about Greek mythology. 

"Do you think she was something we've never seen before. Like a, mee-know-tar?" 

"Maybe. Can we just leave it alone right now?" I glared at my book. 

"This is going to bother me. We have to find out what she is!" Scott rolled his eyes. He picked up his backpack and walked towards the door.

"I have a class now, so don't do anything stupid."

"I make no promises." The door closed. I flopped onto my bed and held the book above me. I was reading about sirens. There was a picture of some old hags with vulture bodies. I shut the book and swung my feet to the edge of my bed. I walked over to the window and peeked through the blinds. Serene was talking with someone outside. I ran over to the door and swung it open. I flew past some older kids and sprinted down the stairs. Out of breath with a bright red face, I walked out onto the field and up to Serene. She didn't see me. 

"Bye, Josie. I'll see you later." Serene walked away towards the gym where the pool was. I held back and watched her enter the gym. I knew it was very stalker-ish, but she was acting suspicious. Maybe. I just wanted a reason not to do homework. I entered around the back of the gym and peered through the window on the door to the pool. Serene was dipping her feet in the water. Maybe it wasn't so suspicious. I pushed on the doors, but they were locked. Suspicious it was. The lowered herself into the pool, still fully clothed. She let go of the edge and splashed into the deep end. I turned my head, only to see a purple tail maneuvering through the blue. I jumped back. She was a freaking mermaid. Running my hands through my hair, I went back up to the window. Serene's head was out of the water, but instead of having her usual brown eyes, they were fluorescent green. She turned towards the window. I ducked below the window. I pressed my back against the door and tried not to breath. Crouching down, I waddled to the back door. I stood up and sprinted back to my dorm. Halfway across the field, I plowed right into Aurora. 

"Why are you running?"

"Uh, I have to...I was...I just..." I stood up and pulled Aurora onto her feet. "I like to run."

"Very interesting. Hey, where's Scott?" She looked nervous.

"He has a class right now."

"Oh, okay. I guess I'll see you next class." 

"Yeah, bye." I walked casually back to my dorm. I opened up the door and sat at the desk. My laptop was sitting in front of me. Opening it up, I tried to wrap my head around the whole mermaid thing. But I don't think she was a 'mermaid' per say. I thought of how she made me feel. Every move she made was enchanting. I bet if she sung, every guy within a mile would come running. She was a siren.