Chapter 8 (Stiles)

I tapped my pen on my notebook. So, both Aurora and Serene were supernatural beings. Beacon Hills all over again. I let my chin slide into my palm. 

"Stiles? Can you answer number five?" My head shot up and I tried to comprehend what was on the board. A bunch of letters littered the space. Whose bright idea was it to put letters in a completely numerical subject?

"I wanna say...six...?" The teacher shook her head slowly. 

"The correct answer was 78A plus the square root of 27 over 3." I looked to my right at Scott. So close! I mouthed. He cracked a smile. Aurora was sitting behind him. Her glasses were half-perched on the tip of her nose and her eyes wore a blank stare. Serene was sitting next to Aurora, right behind me. I would casually look back at her just because I couldn't help it. I knew she was a siren, and in classical mythology, sirens are evil. But how could I tell if she was evil? I rubbed my temples. My mind went deep into thought. I stared blankly at nothing. My thoughts were jarred when the door to the classroom swung open. A girl stood in the doorway, her face framed by silvery plaited hair. Her eyes were a crystal blue, but they weren't pretty in any way. It looked as though she was looking for any weaknesses of anyone in the room. She walked over to the teachers desk. She whispered something to the teacher. The teacher nodded. 

"This is Laurel Botsis. She is a new student who just arrived today. Um, why don't you sit in that open seat?" She pointed at a seat next to Scott. He looked only slightly panicked. There was something off about this new student. For the rest of the class, Scott tried with all of his strength to just look at the board. Laurel's piercing eyes would occasionally make their way to Scott where they would stop for a few seconds then flick back to her notebook. I would jot down a few notes, but I spent most of my concentration on keeping tabs on Laurel using my peripheral vision. After what felt like an antagonizing eternity, the bell rang. I shoved my stuff in my back and swung it over my shoulder. Scott did the same, but he waited for Aurora to finish. He wasn't very clear as to whether they were a 'thing' or not. Laurel stood up and pushed passed me. Her arm rubbed against mine; her skin was rough to the touch. I quizzically watched her turned the corner. I felt a hand touch my arm. I met Serene's dark eyes as I turn around. 

"Hey, I noticed you don't really get it. Do you want help studying?" Her dark hair was shining slightly in the fluorescent lights. Somehow, I completely forgot about the whole evil-or-not-evil thing.

"Oh, yeah sure. Do you want to meet in the library at four?" She nodded. 

"See you then." She walked out towards her next class. Scott came up to me. 

"What did she want?"

"We're studying together tonight."

"Be careful." I nodded and wandered to my next class. 

~ Later at four ~

The librarian wasn't at her desk, which was strange. Nonetheless, I took a seat at a table positioned towards the door. I nervously tapped my pencil against my math book. My eyes kept finding their way to the clock. Only a minute past, but it felt like hours. I put my head down on the table. Then, the door opened.

"Stiles?" I lifted my head and saw Serene. My face broke into a smile. 

"Hey!" She sat down in the chair next to me. She brushed her hair off of her face. 

"So, what do you need help with?" I opened up my book.

"Everything." She laughed a bit. 

"All right, where do you want to start?" We both looked up at the same time and made eye contact. She blushed a bit and looked down at my book.

"Why don't we start...here." I turned to a random page. 

"Um, okay, so first you have to..." Her eyes met mine again. She was so beautiful. I couldn't help it. It just burst out. 

"Do you want to go on a date? Like, in a restaurant, without math?" Before I could react, she kissed me. As fast as it started, she pulled away.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean to come on so-" I leaned in and kissed her again. How could she possibly be evil? She pulled away again. 

"How about Saturday? We can go to...wherever." She nodded. 

"Sounds good. I think I know a place. I can pick you up at five?"

"Yeah, cool." I looked back down at my open math book. "So math."

"Math."