Chapter 16 (Stiles)

The legend of the Maeonian drakon is this:

Around the time of the first , the Maeonian attacked the village of Maeonia (in modern-day Turkey). The Moria's brother Tylus accidentally touched a serpent, which then attacked Tylus, coiled round his body and suffocated him; Tylus was not his first victim. Moria only could helplessly watch her brother die, but then , a son of , arrived on the spot; Moria implored him to help and he killed the serpent, hitting it with the trunk of a tree he tore out of the ground. Then a female serpent, the slain monster's mate, appeared and used a magical herb, referred to as " flower", to bring the dead serpent back to life. After centuries of Damasen killing the monster and it being brought back to life, he finally succeeded in destroying it. The only catch was he had to sacrifice himself. Although the drakon was dead, his mate still sought out to destroy whoever she desired. It is said that she still scours the Earth in search of a way to bring her love back.

"So, she wants to bring back another giant snake. Wow, anyone else getting intense Buffy flashbacks?" Aurora brushed her fingers through her hair, a slight confusion falling across her face.

"Yes. She wants to bring back the Maeonian drakon, but this cannot happen. If she wins and he comes back-"

"We're all screwed?" Serene interrupted Derek. His eyes flashed menacingly, but she just ignored him.

"Basically." Jessica finished up. We stayed silent for a few minutes, absorbing the information. I cleared my throat.

"Anyone else wondering who it is?"

"Laurel Botsis." Scott blurted out.

"Oh, right! Super sketchy girl. I remember her." She was in some of my classes and always sat in the darkest corner. Way to be inconspicuous.

"Watch her. Make sure she doesn't too anything...sinister." Derek's eyes shifted around us.

"All right. Sounds cool. So how do we kill it?" Aurora seemed eager to get back to normality. "Because in the myth Damasen killed it with a tree."

"You need a stake made of oak and coated in the blood of a serpent."

"Seems easy enough. Anybody know where to buy a stake?" I glanced around at everyone's unamused faces.

"You have to find out how to get the weapon yourself." Derek stepped back into the shadows about halfway.

"Wait! You're just leaving again?" Scott's knuckles were white and his eyebrows were dangerously narrowed.

"I have more important things to attend to." He stepped a little further. Jessica took his hand.

"I'm going with him, so you won't be getting any of my help." Together, they disappeared into the darkness. I heard a car door open and an engine start up. Convenient parking for dramatic exits. We stayed there in silence for about a minute. I clapped my hands together, shattering the quiet.

"Well, I'm going to get some sleep. This exchange has been wonderful, but draining. Scott." I took his arm and pulled him away from the lot.

"Goodnight, guys." Aurora and Serene made their way across the other side of the lawn.