Chapter Three

"So yeah, I'm coming home in about a week! I can't wait to see you love!" Thomas says excitedly.

Finally finally finally.

"I can't wait to see you either! Oh Thomas, I'm so excited!" I was jumping for joy on the inside.

"We're going to cuddle for a whole week when I get back.  I promise."  He says. 

I loved cuddling with Thomas.  He was so warm and he smelled so good. 

"I've gotta go, Snowflake.  I'll talk to you soon." 

"Alright.  I love you!"

"I love you too Kylie."  He blows me a kiss, says goodbye, and turns his Skype off.

I immediately jumped up and down and danced with no music. 

"Crap.  I better clean up..." 

So I started with cleaning my room.  Then I went to the living room.  It was really late by the time I was done, so I decided I would do the rest tomorrow. 

I couldn't sleep that night, but that was fine, because I had the next day off. 

I started with the bathroom the next day.  Then I moved to the spare bedroom.  Even though I don't really use it, it was still dusty and all, so I cleaned it too.  Lastly, I cleaned the kitchen.  The kitchen took the longest.

"Alright you two," I say to Midnight and Lulu, "don't shed anymore hair. Thomas is coming home soon, so the apartment has to stay clean."

Midnight meowed while Lulu just stared at me.

"Alright, good."

I was out of some of my cleaning supplies, so I decided to drive to Walmart to restock.

I bought what I needed, and started to drive home.

But it was icy. And it was dark. And even though I was driving carefully, my car skidded on the ice. And I slid on the road. And my car fell into a ditch.

The airbag went off, but just a little too late. Pain filled me. I felt pieces of glass enter my skin, and there was a huge cracking sound.

I think I broke my leg. And for some reason, I didn't scream. I just cried. And I was thinking, Who's going to take care of Lulu and Midnight if I die?

And I was bleeding, and I had a huge headache. And my leg hurt like hell.

My car door opened, and somebody starting yelling something, but I couldn't hear what they were saying, because there was a ringing sound in my ears, and it was very loud.

Thomas. What about Thomas? What if I die? What will he do?

I don't know how long it took for someone to unbuckle me and put me on a stretcher. I'm not sure how long the drive to the hospital was. I don't know what the medics were saying to me. I don't know how long I was passed out.

*****

I wake up in a hospital bed. I felt nothing but pain.

I hate my life sometimes.

And to my surprise, Erica, my co-worker and only human friend, was sitting there in the room.

"Erica?" I say in a croaky voice.

She looks up from the magazine she's reading. There's relief on her face when she sees me.

"Oh Kylie, I'm so glad you're awake. I was scared!" She comes over to me and was about to give me a hug, but thought better of it.

"Just pretend I'm giving you a hug, okay?" She asks, and gently pays me on the arm.

I just nod and close my eyes. "Thanks for coming."

"You're mom should be here soon, Kylie. We called her and told her what happened."

"How long have I been here?"

"A couple days." Erica answers.

"Has anyone taken care of my cats?" I say in a panicked voice.

Erica blinked. "No, I don't think so. No body has a key to your apartment except you. Here, give me your key and I'll go feed them. If that's okay with you."

If only I knew where my key was. I look around. I see my purse and keys on the table beside me. I point at the table. "Please go and feed them. They're probably starving. Just please don't steal anything."

Erica scoffs. "I'm not gonna steal anything. Are you sure you want me to go now? Do you want me to stay with you for a little longer?"

"No, go feed my cats!" I say urgently.

"Alright, alright." And she leaves.

I close my eyes and relax a little, the pain not as bad.

I must've fallen asleep, because when I wake up, it's nighttime. And my mom is there.

"Mom."

"Kylie!" She hurries to me and hugs me.

"Ouch. Mom, please." I say tiredly.

"I'm sorry sweetheart. I came as quick as I could. I'm so sorry this happened sweetheart."

"It's not your fault mom. I'm glad you're here. I missed you."

She kisses my forehead. "I missed you too. How are you feeling?"

"Fine, I guess. Did Erica feed my cats? Does Thomas know what happened?"

"Erica fed your cats. She gave me your key. As for Thomas, nobody has his number but you, and your phone is locked. He has called you a bunch of times though."

"Oh no, I've probably worried him. I shouldn't tell him, he's too busy right now. It will be a burden to him."

"I think he would want to know, but it's your decision sweetheart. Just rest right now." She says.

"I'm gonna call him." I say, and grab my phone.

My mom just sighs.

I dial his number, and he picks up before the first ring was finished.

"Kylie?! Kylie, are you alright? Where have you been?" He sounded quite worried.

"I'm sorry Thomas. I'm fine. Something came up, and I got really busy. I'm sorry."

"You didn't have any time to call me or text me or anything? Kylie, what's going on? You sound bad. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine Thomas, really. I'm just tired is all. I have to go now. I love you."

"Kylie, don't go. You aren't telling me something. What's going on? I'm really worried."

"Really Thomas, nothing is going on! I'm fine, okay? Trust me." I felt bad lying to him.

"Kylie..."

"I have to go Thomas. I have a late shift at work tonight. I love you."

"I love you too Kylie. Please call me soon. I'll be home in four days, okay? Don't forget."

"I wouldn't forget that ever. Bye Thomas."

I hang up, and I put my phone back on the table by the bed. I look at my mom.

She shakes her head, but doesn't say anything.

I fall asleep once again.