Chapter Four

Four days later, they let me go back home.  My mom stays with me in the apartment.

I get a call from Thomas.  He'll be here in an hour. 

"What am I going to do?  He's gonna see that I'm hurt and he's gonna be mad and-"

"You should've told him the truth.  You shouldn't lie to him, Kylie.  He's-"

"Mom, I know.  I know."  I let out a big sigh. 

My leg was in a cast, and I had to walk using crutches.  I had bandages all over me, but thankfully, most of them won't visible.  I was still a little drowsy. 

I felt like crap.  For more than one reason.

My mom and I sat in silence for a while. I was psyching myself up for Thomas's return. I was incredibly excited and happy, but I was also incredibly sore and kind of depressed, which kind of dampened my mood.

My mom sat down beside me and kissed my forehead. "I love you baby girl." She wrapped an arm gently around my shoulders.

"I love you too Mom." I kissed her cheek and laid my head on her shoulder. We sat like that until the doorbell rang.

My stomach got nervous butterflies. I looked at my mom, and she nodded to me. "I'll go stand in the kitchen so I won't bother you two."

"Will you come out if things get a little... Iffy?" I ask.

She nods, hugs me, then walks into the kitchen.

I take a deep breath, grab my crutches, and walk over to the door.

I open it. And there he is. I'm filled with happiness and excitement. I reach out and hug him. Hard.

"Thomas." I whisper. "I missed you so much, Thomas."

"I missed you too, Snowflake." He hugs me back, hard. And it hurts, but I didn't say anything, I was too wrapped up in my happiness.

"Kylie," he whispers, "what happened to you?" He gently pulls away from me and looks at me, up and down.

"Here, come in." I say, and move out of the way so he could come in.

He walks in, and I close the door behind him. I turn and look at him. He was staring at me. "Kylie, what happened?"

And so I tell him. I tell him everything that happened, and how the reason I didn't call him was because I was passed out in a hospital bed.

"I didn't want to worry you, Thomas. You were so busy and you had so much going on and I just..."

He was mad. I could see it in his eyes.

"Are you bloody kidding me? Are you serious?! What were you thinking? Why in the WORLD did you keep this from me? What is this? I'm your BOYFRIEND, Kylie! You're supposed to tell me this stuff! You could have died! Dammit, what the hell?!" He was crying.

"Thomas, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I knew I should've told you. I-"

"No. No, I'M sorry that I'm not important enough to know that my GIRLFRIEND GOT IN A CAR WRECK! I'm sorry that-"

"Thomas! Calm down!" I yell.

"You want me to calm down? Wh-"

"Alright kids, just hold on a second." My mom walks out from the kitchen. She walks over to us and stands between us.

"Thomas. It's nice to see you. Now, what my daughter did was not right. She should've told you, yes, but she didn't. I would be disappointed too."

Mom, who's side are you taking here?

"But it's already happened, it's in the past, you can't go back. Please don't yell at her. She's hurt, can't you see that? I know you're hurt too, but she was only thinking about you when she decided this. She didn't want to get you mixed up in this while you were away working." My mom steps out from between us and stands off to the side.

"I'll let you kids talk it out." She walks back toward the kitchen.

Thomas and I look at each other. I realized we were both crying. Thomas had his fists clenched at his sides.

He was still mad.

"Dammit Kylie." He whispers. "What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know." I say.

And just then, Midnight and Lulu walk over to Thomas and circle around his feet.

He looks down, and looks back up at me. He reaches out and wipes the tears off my cheeks.

"Kylie... You've got to tell me when stuff happens. ESPECIALLY this kind of stuff. This just makes me think that you don't really... don't really care about what I think. Gosh, Kylie, I'm so glad you're okay."

And then he says, "You're so bloody stupid. You think that my work is more important than my girlfriend almost dying? Well, some people will try to tell me that it is, but you're much more important to me. Okay? I'm so mad at you right now, you don't even know."

And he leans in and kisses me.

And I melt into his arms. I hadn't kissed him in over half a year. I missed him so much.

"I'm so mad at you, Kylie." He murmurs against my lips, and continues to kiss me.

I think I was crying again. This time, I was crying for a bunch of reasons, but all I could think about was Thomas.

Just like before, our lips fit perfectly together. They moved together, and I was on Cloud 9.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as we pull away from each other.

He nods. "I'm sorry too."

He hugs me.

We hadn't forgiven each other. But being sorry was the first step.

I realized just then that it would be kind of hard to cuddle with each other now.