Chapter Eighteen

*3 months later*

It was December 10th.  Christmas time, my favorite time of the year. 

I no longer need my wheelchair, as of today.  I can walk now, without feeling pain.  The physical therapy helped a bunch, and I was so happy that I could finally walk again.  I couldn't run, but I was working on that.  My hands still needed the gloves, but they were healing so well, I wouldn't need them after a while. 

The doctor was surprised at how fast I was recovering.  I was just excited.

I still hated to look at myself in the mirror, and I think I always would.  My cheek would always have that terrible burn mark on it, and it's so obvious and out there. 

But Thomas was always there to remind me that I was beautiful, and that I always will be, no matter what. 

My mom had stayed with me for about a month and a half before she went back home.  She was considering moving to Colorado to be closer to me, and I told her that I would love that. 

I went back to work about a week ago.  The shelter was in a new building now, and it was bigger and cleaner than our old one had been.  It was hard to work there, after everything that had happened.  We had lost some animals, and when I got home after the first day back, I cried my eyes out. 

I couldn't do much at work, but I did everything I could.  I got a raise, which surprised me and made me happy.  When I told Thomas, he just grinned wide and said, "I knew they would."

Oscar was alive and healing.  I was ecstatic about it, and when I went to see him, he cautiously walked over to me.  He remembered me.  He nosed my leg and went back to his bed.

He was going to be sent to an animal sanctuary a couple hours away.  It was a top class one, so I knew he would be taken care of there, and I promised I would visit him.

Thomas moved in with me, and it was wonderful. We were always around each other, and we both loved it.  He turned down two movie offers so he could stay with me, which made my love for him grow, which I hadn't known was possible since I loved him so much.

"Thomas, can you come put the star on top of the tree?"  I call for him, and he comes out of the kitchen and takes the star and puts it on top of the tree. 

I grin up at it, and say, "Now, for the ornaments!"  I hurry to the boxes and pull some out.  "Will you decorate with me?"  I ask him hopefully.

"Of course I will, Snowflake."  He takes a single ornament and places it on the tree.  "Okay, done."  He says with a cheeky grin.

I hit him playfully in the arm, but it hurts my hand, and I bite my lip, trying not to show any pain. 

But Thomas sees it, and gently takes my gloved hand. 

"Snowflake, are you okay?"  He asks worriedly. 

"Yeah, I'm fine.  I just uh, I need to sit for a second."  And I go sit on the couch.

Thomas sits down with me, and I look at him.

"I just seriously hate that I can't do anything without hurting.  It makes me so mad and I just feel so helpless.  I can't...  I just..."  I trail off, and Thomas wraps an arm around my waist gently, and pulls me close to him.

"You aren't helpless, love.  It sucks, I know.  But you won't be like this forever, trust me.  You just have to be patient.  I know it's been 9 months, but it takes time to heal.  Okay?"  He rubs my back in slow, soft circles.

I sigh and nod.  "Okay, I guess."

"Okay, I guess."  He says in a high pitched voice, mocking me.

"Ugh, Thomasssssss."  I whine, and he just laughs and kissed my cheek.

We continue to decorate the Christmas tree, and when we are done, it looks beautiful. 

"It's so pretty!  Ooh, turn the lights on!" 

Thomas turns on the Christmas tree lights, and the room brightens. 

"Ah, it's so pretty!  Isn't it Thomas?  Isn't it?"  I was so excited and happy.  I just loved Christmas time. 

Thomas laughs.  "Yes, it's very pretty." 

I feel tiredness wash over me.  "I'm really tired, but I'm really hungry.  What should I do?"

Thomas laughs again.  "How about we have a quick dinner, and then go to bed.  How does that sound?" 

"Hmm, I guess."

"Hmm, I guess."  He mocks again.

"Thomas, I swear to gosh."  I say, and he grins.

Thomas makes us both sandwiches and chips, and we both eat hungrily.  Decorating a Christmas tree does tire you out sometimes.

When we are done, we both change into our pajamas, and get in bed.  We both lay awake for a few minutes, cuddled next to each other.  It was cold, and Thomas was warm. 

"Kylie?"  Thomas whispers sleepily.

"Yeah?"  I whisper back, just as lazily.

"I love you." 

"I know."

Thomas scoffs, and I laugh.

"I love you too." 

"I know."

I roll my eyes and breath in his scent.  His smell was so comforting, and I never wanted to forget it, ever.

After a few more minutes, I hear Thomas's light snoring, and I smile. 

Soon, I fall asleep.