Chapter Fifteen

I wanted to cry, like a lot. This was just... terrible.

He places one of his hands gently on my not burned cheek. I really missed his touch. I leaned into it a little, letting my eyes close. Thomas gently stroked my cheek with his thumb, whispering my name softly.

I open my eyes and he takes his hand away. There was a look of sadness and confusion and so many other things in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Thomas." I say.

"Huh? What do you mean?" He asked.

"I'm sorry that I kicked you in the crotch. I'm sorry that I went into that fire. I'm sorry that I look really weird and gross with all these burns. I'm sorry that you got burned. I'm sorry you can't touch me or hold my hand. I'm sorry that I'll never look like I had, I'll never be the same. I'm sorry that know you have an ugly girlfriend that can barely walk and can't hold anything for more than five minutes. I'm sorry that-".

He cuts me off, "Kylie, are you serious? Are you seriously thinking that I'm going to break up with you because you're burned? That's what you think?" He sounded angry.

I had made him mad without even trying to.

"Thomas, why wouldn't you? I'm not... me. And I can barely do anything without any help, so you'd be helping me all the time, doing a whole bunch of things that I could do if I hadn't gone in that fire. My skin is all warped and ugly and I'm just-"

"Stop." He says. "Just stop. God, Kylie, how many times have I told you? How many bloody times have I told you? How many times have I told you that, no matter what you look like, I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU? How many times have I told you that I don't care what other people think, I only care about you and what YOU think? How many times have I told you I love you? How many bloody times have I held you close to me, kissed you, hugged you, touched you? You really think I'd leave you after all that we've been through? All just because you're burned and hurt? Because you look different? Are you serious?"

He was breathing heavy, his eyes angry, his whole face in a huge frown.

"Why are you always afraid that I'll break up with you? I've told you over and over that I will ALWAYS love you, no matter what! Do you even listen to me?"

This was not how I wanted my meeting with Thomas to go.

I felt a single hot tear start to roll down my cheek, and I wiped it away quickly, but it hurt my hand because I pushed too hard on my cheek. I sucked in a breath and felt another tear fall down my other cheek.

No, no, no.

If that tear hit my burned cheek, it would probably burn. I took the sheet in my hands gently and wiped it away.

But then more tears started to come out, and I didn't plan on crying when I was with him again, I didn't want to cry, but I hadn't cried in like 2 and a half months, so now all the tears came out.

"Oh no, K-Kylie, I didn't mean to make you cry. Kylie, you don't know how happy I am to see you, I've missed you so much and I love you so much. Kylie, I'm sorry." He gently wiped some of my tears away with a tissue.

And then the doctor came in and told Thomas that he had to leave. Thomas protested, but she insisted, because he was upsetting me. Thomas looked at the doctor, then at me, then back at the doctor.

"Please, I didn't mean to make her cry. I haven't seen her in so long and-". He started to plead.

"Thomas, please go." I say quietly.

He turns and looks at me, sadness clear on his face. "Okay." He whispers, and leaves.

The doctor turns and looks at me, pity in her eyes. "Miss Fortz, I know that you... Are you okay?"

I just look away. The doctor leaves to get me some water, and I clench my teeth, trying to stop myself from crying. It didn't hurt when the tears touched my burned cheek, but I had to wipe them all away super carefully. But I was so confused and mad and sad that I just let them stay there.

Why did I screw everything up? Why did I always do this to him? Why was he still with me? Why do I keep thinking that? Why was everything so shitty right now?

Would he forgive me? Would I forgive him? I already did.

I wanted to just sleep until I healed completely, but I'm pretty sure I would die and it still wouldn't be completely healed.

Did Thomas really not care what I looked like, did he still think of me as the same Kylie I was before?

I don't think so. I had seen it and heard it, that slight hesitation in his voice, that look of surprise and caution in his eyes. He had tried to hide it, but I had seen it.

I wasn't the same Kylie to him, and I wasn't the same Kylie to myself either. I wished that I could just sleep and when I woke up, everything would be okay.

But of course, the universe didn't work like that.