Chapter Twenty-Six

"Ah, it's nice to be back home."  I say proclaim as I set my luggage in the living room.

"Indeed it is.  I'm really stiff from sitting in that bloody plane so long."  Thomas tells me, stretching.

"Me too.  Oh kitties, come here!"  I exclaim as I see both of my cats walk out of the kitchen.

They hurry over to me, and I lean down and pet their heads. 

"Mommy missed you, yes she did!  Oh, you're so pretty, such pretty kitties, yes you are!"  I say in a cheesy voice.

I hear Thomas laugh behind me, and I just roll my eyes.  My cats rub their heads on my leg, and I laugh at them.  Their purring was loud, and I could tell they had missed me.

When I stood up, my pants were covered in cat hair.  "Aw man!"  I say, and go to the kitchen for a lint roller. 

After I had gotten all the hair off my clothes, Thomas and I unpack. 

"I should go check on the animal shelter!"  I say, but Thomas puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Slow down, Snowflake.  We just got home, let's rest for a while.  You can go see the animals tomorrow, okay?" 

"I guess so...." 

When we finish unpacking, Thomas and I take a shower.  After that, we fall asleep, sleeping for the rest of the day and the whole night.

*****

"Thomas I'm gonna go to the animal shelter!"  I call to him from the living room.  He was still eating breakfast. 

"Okay love!  Be careful!"  He says.

"I will.  Love you!" 

And I leave the apartment and drive to the animal shelter.

"Hey, it's the newly wed!  Kylie, how was your honeymoon?"  Erica asks as I walk into the shelter.

"It was perfect, Erica.  It was the best time of my life.  I missed the animals though," I pause.  "How's Oscar?" 

Jason pops his head out of the bathing room.  "Good news!  Oscar finally went to a sanctuary a few hours away from here!  He'll live there from now on."

I let out a happy sigh.  Finally, Oscar could live in peace.  But I know he would miss Cal, like I do. 

"We should go visit him soon!  Who wants to come with me?"  I ask everyone.

A few of my co-workers volunteer to go, including Jason and Erica. 

"When do you guys both have the day off?  I want to go tomorrow!"  I tell them.  I was getting excited at the thought of seeing Oscar again.

"I have tomorrow off."

"Me too."

"Yeah, me too."

"Guys, tomorrow is Sunday.  We all have the day off."  Jessica, another co-worker says to us, rolling her eyes.

Murmurs of realization pass through us, and we decide that we will go tomorrow. 

"Alright, it's settled.  Let's meet outside here at around 10 AM, okay?"  I ask them.  "We can carpool, or just drive ourselves I guess.  Jason, can you send everyone the address?"

"Sure thing, boss."  He says the last word sarcastically, but in a good natured way.

"Okay, I'll see you all tomorrow then!"  I tell them goodbye and drive home.

I tell Thomas about Oscar and our plan to go visit him.  "Will you come with me?"  I ask.

"Of course."  He says, kissing me forehead.  "Anything for you, love."