Chapter Nineteen

It's December 23rd, and Thomas has been acting really jumpy and strange around me for the past few days. 

I can take my gloves off now.  I can hit Thomas playfully now without being hurt.  I can walk fast without being hurt.  I had gotten a skin graft for my cheek and neck, which was painful, but I looked so much better, I looked like my old self.  My face didn't hurt anymore, my neck didn't either. 

Skin was growing back on my hands and feet.  Not much, but it made me so happy. 

I was able to do more stuff at work and at my apartment.  I didn't have to ask Thomas to make me food anymore, stuff like that.

But I was kind of worried.  He seemed weird.  I mean, he was always just staring at something, or he was really quiet.  I had tried to ask what was on his mind, but he just told me not to worry about it.

And that made me think that maybe I was smothering him?  Or maybe he didn't want to be with me after all?  But I remember all those times...

I decided I just needed to calm down.

Although, that night, I couldn't sleep very well. 

*****

I wake up, my eyes heavy.  I probably only got a couple hours of sleep last night.  Thomas had tried to comfort me and help me sleep, but I couldn't. 

When I woke up, I smelled pancakes.  Despite my exhaustion, I grinned.  I loved it when Thomas cooked for me.

I walked into the kitchen and saw that Thomas was just putting the food on the table. There were pancakes and eggs and biscuits. He had set out Christmassy paper plates and napkins.

I look up at him, then hurry over and hug him.

"It's wonderful, Thomas." I say. "Thank you."

He kisses my forehead and answers, "I'm glad you like it Snowflake. Now eat, I don't want to waste it."

So I eat heartily, and when we are both done, I go and sit in the living room, and put in 'A Christmas Story'. I always watched this movie right before Christmas, I had since I was a little kid, back when my family wasn't broken.

We cuddle up in a blanket, and I rest my head on his shoulder.

When the movie ended, I realized he had gotten really fidgety.

"Thomas? What's going on? You've been acting weird for the past few days."

He shakes his head. "I told you, it's fine. I just... You know I love you right? You know that I'll always love you. Don't worry about it, you'll see." He kisses the top of my head.

I spent the rest of the day wrapping presents. I told him he had to leave the room so he wouldn't see his presents, and at first he didn't want to, but I forced him to.

I look at the presents laid out before me. A silver chain. He always wore a gold one, so I thought, 'hey, maybe he will wear another one?' Cologne. A book full of classical tales, he loved stories like that. And a few other things as well.

I decided I'd give him the book tonight, then he could open the rest tomorrow.

In my family, we always open one present on Christmas Eve, then open the rest Christmas morning.

It takes a while for me to wrap his presents, kind of because I bought a lot, kind of because I sucked at wrapping presents.

When I was done, I put his presents under the tree, except for two, the book, and the silver chain. The chain would be from 'Santa'. I liked to keep the idea alive.