Chapter 17

The nurse, Harry still hadn't learned her name, though he guessed he was her most frequent patient, came in after she made sure the two boys had stopped kissing. She didn't bring up the subject, pretending she didn't see a thing, but didn't insist that Louis leave like she had done with Niall. I guess she knew he was different. Obviously.

"Well, kiddo. The doctors are going to call back within the next half hour, but for the time being, I'm sure your mother would like to talk to you." She smiled, handing Harry the large landline.

Harry gave a sheepish smile, before sitting up in bed. He winced at the initial pressure but waved Louis off, who rushed over to help him. He brought the phone to his ear but had to pull it back so as not to go deaf by his mother's shouting voice.

"I THOUGHT YOU PROMISED NOT TO BE ALL BANDAGED WHEN I CAME TO PICK YOU UP! HOW CAN YOU HURT YOURSELF SO MANY TIMES OVER THE COARSE OF ONE SUMMER!? I MEAN HONESTLY HARRY, HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU STAYED ALIVE FOR SO LONG!? LAST TIME WAS JUST AN ARM, NOW IT'S STITCHES, A CONCUSSION, AND YOU MIGHT NEED GLASSES! JESUS, HARRY! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STILL WANT TO STAY FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS! YOU MIGHT DIE BY THEN! I HEARD IT WAS THE CLIFF THIS TIME? HUH? THE CLIFF CAUSED THE INJURY? WELL, PLEASE PUT NIALL ON THE LINE SO I CAN YELL AT HIM! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU, HARRY!" Anne took a deep breath, composing herself, "I'm sorry. How are you, love bug?"

Harry smiled crookedly and brought the phone back to his ear, positive his mum's rant was over. "I'm fine, Mum. I promise. Nothing to worry about."

"NOTHING TO – NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!?" Anned shrieked before composing her self once again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But there is most definitely something to worry about. You could've been, severely hurt, baby."

"But I'm not, Mum. I'm fine." Harry tried for a positive outlook. Louis traced his fingers down Harry's palm before interlocking their fingers and grinning at Harry. "Everythings fine." Harry finished, gripping Louis' hand tighter.

"Oh Harry. Are you sure you don't want me to pick you up? Are you absolutely, one-hundred percent, positive, you don't –"

"Mum!" Harry snapped. "I'm fine. I really want to stay. Besides, I need to ask about an award for the most injuries during one camp session. I'm pretty sure I deserve that!"

Louis smirked and brought his free hand to his mouth to conceal a laugh.

Anne chuckled on the other line. "Oh, sweetheart, I'll sue if they give it to someone else!"

Harry laughed. "I'm sure you will."

Anne was silent for a minute. "Oh, Harry, please stay out of trouble and danger. You know what, have Niall wrap you in bubblewrap, and you don't get out of it until I unwrap you. Understood."

Harry's face turned bright red and snorted, "Yes, ma'am."

"Oh, shut up, Harry." Anne ordered. "Now I'm gonna have a talk with the nurse but I'll see you in two weeks. There better be no more surprises."

It just occurred to Harry that he hadn't told his mum about him and Louis. They had just said they loved each other so Harry was pretty sure they were a thing, though he'd have to talk to Louis about it later. Did that qualify as a surprise? Harry's stomach dropped. His mum knew he was gay and promised she was comfortable with it, but actually having a boyfriend was something different. That would mean Harry being gay was real. Like actually real and affecting his life.