six.five | compromise

"You'll what?" Octavius' voice is dangerously deep, his eyes fading quickly to a golden fury. He gets up from his chair, and seems to grow in height as his anger builds.

"I-I'll reject you." I attempt to sound firm, but my voice wavers at his anger, and I pray he can hold on to what threads of self control he has left.

Octavius scoffs, and shakes his head frantically, chuckling humorlessly.

"You would leave your mate, the person destined for you, and only you, for some omegas." He sneers at the last word, his eyes flashing gold.

I don't know if it's my terror, or maybe momentary insanity, but I stiffen, and glare at him.

"I would do what is necessary. Two days ago, I was destined to be their Luna, and it is still my duty to protect the people that I love. Those omegas, were, and still are my family."

"But you are my luna! You are loyal to me! You are meant to love me."

1. 2. 3. Beats of silence pass.

"How can I love someone who is sending my family to die?" My anger is gone, and I am empty. If he is truly a monster, he will cast me aside, for what is love to a beast with no heart?

He opens his mouth to respond, but closes it. His eyes are no longer gold, back to their beautiful royal blue. The blue that belongs to the beast.

"Octavius, please." I step to the side of his desk, only an arms length away from him.

I could touch him from here.

His smell surrounds me, and I close my eyes momentarily enjoying the addiction. When I open my eyes, he is only a few inches away from me, his chest almost touching my own. I crane my neck and look up into his beautiful face. A face that is now full of conflict and despair. He doesn't touch me, just towers above me, as if he is afraid of my skin. Of my warmth.

As if he's afraid he'd melt.

"You're tearing me in two." He whispers, his voice rough and weak. His jaw is tight and sharp, and I wonder how long he's been grinding his jaw.

"You're giving me a choice I cannot make. Whatever decision I make, I lose. If I choose you, I lose the respect of my pack. I lose the surplus of food I have now. It would weaken my pack." I bite my lip as he speaks, breaking slightly with him. He focuses on my mouth, and I can see him swallow and struggle to even his breathes.

"But if I choose my pack, choose my plan, I lose moments and seconds and years, I lose beauty and fate. I lose you." And his voice. Breaks.

He reaches out to touch my cheek and I melt into his grip.

"Please." I whisper. "Please don't break me." I plead to him with my eyes, and gently brush my lips against his palm. Tiny sparks that send shivers down my spine.

"You're going to be the death of me." He growls gently. And he pulls me into his arms, burying his head in my hair, breathing in deeply. Our bodies fit perfectly, as my head rests on his strong chest, and I grip his arms.

He pulls away too soon, and I miss his heat as soon as it leaves, and I am left icy and frigid.

"Does this mean you won't send them away?" I ask gently, feeling like a child again.

"I won't send them away." He smiles with his lips, but the grin never reaches his eyes.

I send him a small smile, and he steps back into his chair, facing the file once again.

I stand awkwardly, and sense he wants me to leave so I begin to head for the door.

"Alessandra?" I turn at his voice.

"Yes?"

"I want to come to a compromise on this situation. With you."

"With me?" I ask incredulously.

"Yes, with you. Come, sit." He waves me over, and I smile as I sit across from him, for the first time feeling a twinge of real compassion and pride for the beast. 

What do you think of all these new developments in their relationship? 

Please let me know what you think in the comments (all kinds of criticism welcome) 

Vote/Comment/Follow/Enjoy :)