Chapter 2

Irony is a bitch. A real fuckin' bitch. I've grown accustomed to it, of course, but at the time, the irony of the little "quality" of Kaitlin's that separates her from most people bitch-slapped me into next year. The looks on everyone's faces when I told them were pretty priceless though, so I guess that made it worth it at the time.

Anyway, the lawyers, the band, my family and everyone else involved in the situation swore to keep the whole thing under wraps. We didn't want anyone outside our little circle of people we trusted about what was going on. It was too risky.

The band actually had a half way decent amount of time off for once and I agreed to stay in new Mexico as long as needed as long as I could be home in time to prepare for tour. I got a flight in the day before the court hearing. There was wifi, so I spent the most of the flight online researching how to...communicate, with Kaitlin. Then again, I wasn't sure I'd be able to see her at all depending on what the judge would order. There was just so much else on my mind...I'd just found out I'm a father, and to say I was scared would be an understatement.

Chris landed in Albuquerque, rented a car and went to his hotel. The longest he'd be able to stay here would be maybe a little over two weeks in order to get home in time to prepare for tour.

Chris spent most of the night on his laptop, going back and forth between researching and doing work things for the band. He just couldn't concentrate though...He had a daughter. He had a daughter that he never knew about! Why would Lindsey feel the need to keep this from him all these years? He supposed he'd find out tomorrow...This was all so terrifying.

It got pretty late. Chris eventually decided to try and go to sleep. This room was dark. It was also completely silent. This silence itself drove Chris mad...He couldn't imagine what it must be like to live a life like that.

Out of the ten hours I had to sleep, I probably got about four. I've slept less, but for some reason, I felt extra drained; both physically and emotionally. Finally, I just said 'fuck it' and got my computer out again. I ordered room service, did some more work and did some more "research", then finally decided to start getting ready. I was beyond terrified though.

Chris gets out of the car and approaches the courthouse. He was in a suit and tie, had on no make up and his hair tied back. For a moment, he just stands there and stares at the building. He literally was about to go have his fate determined for him.

"You just gonna stand there, or what?"

Chris turns around and finds himself face to face with the woman herself.

"Hey, gorgeous." He says.

"Woah, talk about blast from the past." Lindsey says.

"You look pretty well for a dying woman."

"Thank you. Wigs and about six pounds of makeup help."

They start walking up the steps of the courthouse.